traveling while N400 pending

foranand

Registered Users (C)
I filed N400 for myself and my wife back Mar 2007( Mar 3rd). FP is done and have been waiting for an interview. My FO is Charlotte. Back in Mar, Charlotte was 5-6 months. All of us are traveling to India beginning Nov. Any idea what to do in this case? I called NSC and they gave me scripted response. Should I get an infopass? If I get it, does my wife need to be present or I can discuss with the officer about her case?

Any help is appreciated.

They are processing applications with PD of 02/13/07 and earlier. Your visit to India may coincide with the interview. You need to have a plan what to do.

You may go for an Infopass appointment, I doubt it will be fruitful. Your wife needs to be present to get her own info.

You can still travel, provided you continue to observe all the eligibility criteria for N-400. In addition, you want to make sure you have someone check your mail regularly so you don't miss your interview. Be prepared to travel back for the interview, rather than rescheduling...

Do you know, how far out they let you reschedule? For example, if I request rescheduling how far away I can reschedule? Is it days, weeks, months?

Thanks for your responses.

Usually you reschedule in response to receiving an appointment letter from USCIS. Not sure you can write to them ahead of time because its usually the service center rather than the DO which schedules the interview.

Welcome to the world of travel plans and how they get messed up.
Many of us are in the same boat, dont know when we will get letters. Dont know how to make long travel plans, finding folks to check mail, wonder what we should do if something comes in while we are away etc.

The world of filing applications to USCIS :)

How long are you going to India for? Usually USCIS notifies you about a month before the interview. If you are going to India for (lets say) 2 weeks then it shouldnt be an issue. But if you are planning on going longer, then you may have to consider the implications of the IL coming behind you and you will have to mitigate it.

A huge number of people will be struggling with this issue.

On the one hand you want to be able to make your trips for 4 weeks. On the other hand, worried about correspondence from USCIS while away.

Its a tricky thing, and no easy answer.

I am taking a 3 weeks' trip beginning early November and my PD is 1/30/2007, FP 2/16/07 and been waiting for IL since then! Enjoy life~~ Don't let USCIS ruin it.

Thanks everyone! I think the best possible course is to continue with my life and deal with it when I get an IL. I can't possibly sit here forever.