Traveling to Germany on RTD

echeren

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I had travel multiple times to India, Mexico and Costa Rica using my RTD, now i am planning to go to Germany using my RTD, according to the German consulate website, holders of RTD don’t need a visa to go to Germany, my only problem is that RTD expires on Oct 18, and I am panning to go to Germany at the end of august, which leaves me with about a month and a half of valid RTD after i enter Germany, I am only planning to go for a week, I pretty confident that I won’t have any problem when returning to the US, but my concern and my question are if the German authorities are likely to give me a hard time because of the RTD not having more than 2 months validity. I appreciate any suggestions or personal experiences.

Thanks.

Hello,
I had travel multiple times to India, Mexico and Costa Rica using my RTD, now i am planning to go to Germany using my RTD, according to the German consulate website, holders of RTD don’t need a visa to go to Germany, my only problem is that RTD expires on Oct 18, and I am panning to go to Germany at the end of august, which leaves me with about a month and a half of valid RTD after i enter Germany, I am only planning to go for a week, I pretty confident that I won’t have any problem when returning to the US, but my concern and my question are if the German authorities are likely to give me a hard time because of the RTD not having more than 2 months validity. I appreciate any suggestions or personal experiences.

Thanks.

Last year I had 2.5 months and they did not let me enter. Fortunately, I had visa to Switzerland and went there instead. Germans are strict in that department..

They should make a section in local USCIS office, so you could go in and validate your RTD for another year and just pay them there. This is a big hassel which one year does not really make any sense at all.
They usually want atleast 3 months time left on your Document(passport,Rtd,etc.) before the expiration date.

Good Luck

They should make a section in local USCIS office, so you could go in and validate your RTD for another year and just pay them there. This is a big hassel which one year does not really make any sense at all.
They usually want atleast 3 months time left on your Document(passport,Rtd,etc.) before the expiration date.

Good Luck

Good point. However when RTD was created, the point of 1 year was because in the past pre-1994, adjustment took 1 year or so so after adjustment, you could use your NP and do not need a RTD..thats the theory behind it.

Germany

I received an e-mail from the greman embassy they said that you need 4 months left on your RTD and a direct fly to Germany to enter w/o problems. When you went to Costa Rica and Mexico did you need a Visa for those countries? I have GC+RTD. Take care.

Good point. However when RTD was created, the point of 1 year was because in the past pre-1994, adjustment took 1 year or so so after adjustment, you could use your NP and do not need a RTD..thats the theory behind it.

To Wantmygcnow:
Good observation. To add to your comment about using NP for GC holders that were ex-asylee, I asked this question to an Immig. Officer this morning.

Question that I asked: Is it ok for a GC holder that used to be an asylee to use NP to travel outside of US (except to COP)?

Her answer (and I quote): Yes, if you can still get the NP, you can use the NP to travel. Upon returning to the US, present your NP and your GC for admission into the US.

I asked again: Will I be questioned or will I be in trouble at the time of my citizenship interview because I used and renewed my NP?

Her answer: No. You will not be. Many people do that.

I asked this question twice and she got somewhat irritated. She repeated: No, that is not a problem. As I told you before, that is fine.

So, Want - do you agree with her answer?

To Wantmygcnow:
Good observation. To add to your comment about using NP for GC holders that were ex-asylee, I asked this question to an Immig. Officer this morning.

Question that I asked: Is it ok for a GC holder that used to be an asylee to use NP to travel outside of US (except to COP)?

Her answer (and I quote): Yes, if you can still get the NP, you can use the NP to travel. Upon returning to the US, present your NP and your GC for admission into the US.

I asked again: Will I be questioned or will I be in trouble at the time of my citizenship interview because I used and renewed my NP?

Her answer: No. You will not be. Many people do that.

I asked this question twice and she got somewhat irritated. She repeated: No, that is not a problem. As I told you before, that is fine.

So, Want - do you agree with her answer?

Yes I agree.

Wantmy,

I recall you disagree on renewing NP why agree now?

The reason I agree now are for several reasons. Firstly, we all need to know that USCIS hates fraud. Renewing passport can consider fraud in USCIS eyes but only if for some obvious reasons. For example, if you got your asylum in the 2000's, then you may want to hold on in renewing your passport since that may be considered fraud.

IT all depends on country conditions & whenver I have travelled , I haven't shyed from asking the officers as to what they prefer and what is right. Last april when I entered U.S, I had a RP & I was sent to secondary, so I asked the officer as to If I can use my NP since thats what they prefer and he told me something that finally had the light go on in my brain. He said the simple thing as "When was your asylum claim & has the country conditisons changed?"...I told him i applied in mid 1990s & he said its fine because its over 10 years and things change.

If for instance in my citizenship interview, an officer makes a big deal, I think i have a valid claim to say that look things have changed & I had no intent on any fraud.

My case is a little different because I never plan to travel to my COP even when I become a U.S Citizen but for people who do travel should keep things in their folders as to their reasons for traveling with proof.

All USCIS worries is that someoene taking advantage of them. If its obvious to yourself then its probably obvious to the USCIS. I also suggest people not to do the travel-from-here-take-a-car-from-there route...that way it can cause trouble when it comes to details. If somoene grills you, if you tell the truth, its easier to remember than the lies.

There is something you mention before that renewing your NP is like receiving benefit from COP which makes perfect sense not to renew NP during the period of asylum pending , asylum status and AOS but as soon as INS registers us as PR then we should be able to renew our NP because our status as changed as LPR.

So,what is the final verdict on renewing NP for LPR(given that the case was not against the government).Is it ok to renew or not?!!

The verdict is really questionable after you are granted LPR if IT IS OK to renew NP OR NOT because of the fact that the naturalization officer might not be knowledgale enough. So far i know the following

If Asylum is pending then dont renew NP
If Asylum is Granted then dont renew NP
If AOS is pending then dont renew NP