Travel without GC stamp

mcpost

Registered Users (C)
My passport is currently pending renewal, and because of some procedural change, the wait is more than 5 months now. I have an AP that is valid until end of the year.

Due to some personal reason, I'd like to travel home as soon as possible for a few weeks and with an emergency document (from my home country), I am able to collect my passport back home.

My GC was just approved, but without a passport, I will not be able to get the stamp. I'm wondering if I can use the AP to re-enter US and get the stamp after that?

Anyone has similar experience?

Thanks.

Which country are u from? If from India, why renewal would take 5 months? I think they give it in a day or two.

If you can collect your passport back home and have a valid AP, you could probably enter using AP. But you are better off checking with a lawyer.

LET ME TELL Y AS IAM AIRLINE MAN NO WAY TO TRAVEL ANY WHERE IF Y DONT HAVE PASSPORT I.E THE AIRLINES WILL NOT ACCEPT Y UNLESS A SPECIAL AUTHRIZATION FROM Y EMBASSY FWD TO THE AIRLINES. ALSO NO MATTER IS Y PERSONAL TO TRAVEL TRY TO GET BACK Y VALID PASSPORT BY FEDEX OR DHL ,STAMP Y G.C THEN Y TRAVEL.ALSO TO TRAVEL BY AP IS RISCKY SOMETIMES AS THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER MIGHT NOT ALLOW T RE-ENTER USA FOR ANY REASON SO BE PATIENT AND WORK TO GET Y PASSPORT .HANI

Even though your I-485 is approved, without I-551 stamp in the passport you are not Permanent Resident yet. If you use AP on reentry, you'll be seeking admission as a non-immigrant.

Consult an immigration attorney before going.

Are you sure about not being a PR until the passport is stamped? My understanding was you were one as soon as USCIS approved your case. The passport stamp was just proof.

AP, H1 Visa etc cannot be used once your I485 is approved. The only alternative is to have deferred inspection at the port of entry, but I think the officers have discretion in this matter.

If you can find a way to go home with some special embassy issued documents, maybe the US consulate in your home country will stamp your passport. I would definitely suggest you consult your embassy and see what help they can give you as well as an immigration lawyer.

good luck and do keep us updated.
rgds,
sadiq