travel with Stamp

shanks_n

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

I have searched the forum for travel with I-551 stamp, and I still had a few questions.

1. The INS office took both the copies of the 485 approval [lawyer copy as well as my copy]. I made photocopies of the original notice. Do I need those copies or apply for a duplicate?

2. I am travelling thru London to India, so will there be any transit visa issues? Any experiences or inputs on this please.

3. On return, i read somewhere that there is a secondary inspection. Do they require any special documents other than the stamp. Any copies of the approvals etc etc.?

4. Are there any problems in Mumbai, India with the stamped passport? Anything we should be prepared for or aware of?

Thanks a lot

1. The INS office took both the copies of the 485 approval [lawyer copy as well as my copy]. I made photocopies of the original notice. Do I need those copies or apply for a duplicate?
It is a good idea to keep copies for your own records.

2. I am travelling thru London to India, so will there be any transit visa issues? Any experiences or inputs on this please.
Please check with UK consulates in the US for an accurate answer.

3. On return, i read somewhere that there is a secondary inspection. Do they require any special documents other than the stamp. Any copies of the approvals etc etc.?
You will not need any document other than your passport with the I-551 stamp. Secondary inspection just checks your name/photo with the immigration database. If you are uncomfortable carry a copy of the I-485 approval notice.

4. Are there any problems in Mumbai, India with the stamped passport? Anything we should be prepared for or aware of?
No, almost all passenger checking systems in the world recognize the stamp as a valid admission authorization.

checked with British Embassy

Called Chicago Consulate and they say that they do not recognize I-551 stamp. They need the actual Green Card in hand. I think that is totally idiotic on their part. They are insane. Anyways, dont know what to do now. Tried calling up the french embassy to see if it makes sense there at least. Or may be some other airlines.

Thanks

its not a problem...

Just carry the original of approval notice. I just came back to US on passport that was just stamped.

Dont panic...and enjoy ur trip.

going to get a transit visa tomorrow

Out of luck there Sanju13. They took both copies of the I-485 approval notice. I asked them if I could have the original for my copy, they said no - they need both of them.

I will live with that for some time until the card comes.. :)

You will need transit visa if you have to stop by London. Heathrow has four terminals, most time you have to go out of one terminal, then take the bus to another terminal. The British may think some passagers would take the chance to stay there. I believe that is the reason why they need transit visa.

Maybe you can try Northwest or KLM and travel through Amsterdam, I'm sure they will not need any transit visa.

british consulate experience

1. Dont go early to NY. Too cold to stand outside. Consulate opens at 8 AM. Reach by 7.40 and you will probably be 5th in queue. I was first in line due to early arrival and associated paranoia syndrome.

2. They only let people who are actually applying for either the transit visa or visitors visa inside. So if you are accompanying someone, please remember that. They wont let you wait in the lobby either. There is a station right round the corner with food courts and chairs to sit and wait, so there should be no problem there.

3. They take applications by 9 am. and then they give it in about 1 hr to 1/2 hrs. And it should be quick.

Also attached is a response from the visa consular in UK regarding transit visa's.

To : shanks_n@hotmail.com
CC: Consular_Visa@fco.gov.uk

If you have the i551 stamp you will still require the transit visa. As our website states, the only concession is for people with valid US visas in their passports (not stamps or extension papers) or people holding the new style green cards.

Regards.

the following feedback has been given for..

============================================
Dear Sir/Madam,

My wife and I plan to travel to India via UK. It is via Air India. We have our passports stamped for I-551 [Temporary Evidence of lawful admission for Permanent Residence. Valid until end of december 2004]. That is proof of our Green Card Status until I get the actual plastic card in hand. Do we still require an Direct Airside Transit Visa?

Also, could this issue of the passport stamp with I-551 be addressed in your website as well. A lot of people will benefit from the clarification of this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Shankar

=============================================

Docs required

Passport with stamp I551 will be enough ?
Please list docs submittled to get this transit visa

update on documents required.

1. Passport with Stamped I-551 or AP (wherever applicable)

2. 1 PP Photo

3. Filled form [available from britainusa.com ] For transit there is a form, Fill both Onward and Return information in the sections requested if applicable.

4. Copy of Approval Notice [just a photocopy would do]. dont submit any originals.

That was it.