travel while 485 close to approval

RM2002

Registered Users (C)
Please advise on the following. MY 485 is pending and close to approval. I dont have AP. I am In valid H4 status but the visa stamp in passport has expired. If I leave the US to can I be able to extent the H4 visa stamp in India and enter US irrespective of 485 status? More importantly does it affect my 485 application? Am I able to enter US without any problems?
Thanks

Safest thing, if I were you I would not leave the country until your I-485 is approved and your passport is stamped.

In case you absolutely need to leave the country you should definitely have an Advance Parole document in order to return.

I would never gamble by applying for a visa extension abroad. You are too close to take so much risk and jeopardize your residence.

RM2002,

How can you be in valid H4 status if the Visa is expired? As 485 is filed, you are in 'Adjustment of status'. Don't leave the country with an expired Visa. You should have AP document to travel abroad.

If your H4 status is still valid but the visa on your passport has expired, you MAY be able to extend/revalidate it here in the US through the State Dept.
If you plan to renew it outside the US, please be aware of potential delays due to security check, etc.
The safest way is to have a valid AP, obtained BEFORE you leave the US.

Thank you all for your response. I am still in valid H4 status (until 2005) The visa stamp in passport expired and needs extension. I guess the other option is get an AP in stead of H4 stamp extension. Is Boston INS still issuing same day AP? I appreciate your input.
regards

RD 11/21/01
ND12/11/01
FP2/27/02