Travel to USVI or Puerto Rico - H1 Visa question

krakow007

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Here is the background -
1.) valid H1B approval with company Y and i-94 valid till Dec 2005.
2.) H1B Visa (MRV) on the passport from a earlier H1B with company X, valid till Oct 2005.

I would like to travel to USVI or PR (flyin/flyout from mainland) sometime in Apr/May 2005.

Has anyone with a non-immigrant visa travelled here from mainland US before ? What do the customs/immigration check for ? Visa on the passport ? valid i-94 ? or everything ? Will this cause a problem ?

Any experiences/opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Regards

Any updates

Hi Krakow007 (or anybody else),

Did you get an update on this?

Does anyone know what kind of visa is required for travel to the USVI for Indian citizen with a valid H1B?

Thanks for your help!
DG

You dont require a visa to travel to USVI from any of the US states. Travelling back into the country, you will need to clear a customs/border patrol (this is mostly manned by CBP inspectors, who are the border immigration officers you find at port of entries) check where you need to show documents to prove your ability to go back into US. What I have found so far is -
1.) If you are a citizen - a birth cert and id will do, tho' passport preferred
2.) If you have a gc - a gc
3.) Any other visa - dont know, but I presume you need to show your stamped passport and/or a valid I-94.

You do not have to surrender your I-94 or get a new one coming back in,mind you. Just need to "prove" you can get back into the US with a valid status, that is all.
If you have a trip planned, you may do well to call up the CBP customer service(http://www.cbp.gov/) and chat with someone. Have not done this myself though, since I dont have any concrete plans to travel yet.

HTH
Regards

krakow007 said:
You dont require a visa to travel to USVI from any of the US states. Travelling back into the country, you will need to clear a customs/border patrol (this is mostly manned by CBP inspectors, who are the border immigration officers you find at port of entries) check where you need to show documents to prove your ability to go back into US. What I have found so far is -
1.) If you are a citizen - a birth cert and id will do, tho' passport preferred
2.) If you have a gc - a gc
3.) Any other visa - dont know, but I presume you need to show your stamped passport and/or a valid I-94.

You do not have to surrender your I-94 or get a new one coming back in,mind you. Just need to "prove" you can get back into the US with a valid status, that is all.
If you have a trip planned, you may do well to call up the CBP customer service(http://www.cbp.gov/) and chat with someone. Have not done this myself though, since I dont have any concrete plans to travel yet.

HTH
Regards

I've been to Puerto Rico twice,and the only difference between San Juan airport and any other airport in the US is a USDA checkpoint looking for illegal fruits/veggies. My driver's license was sufficient to get on the airplane.

Brian

Here is a link that should pretty much clear up the answers for USVI -

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/immigration.html

Note that this also mentions the numbers for immigration services in USVI, which you can call to find out more information.
Verdict for non-U.S. residents and non-U.S. citizens is that they should either have a valid passport with the green or white I-94 to re-enter the mainland from USVI.

Presume it would be the same for PR too. While many times they may not bother, by law you are required to carry proof of eligibility to re enter if required.

HTH

PR to Mainland travel - Immigration check?

I know for sure that a Drivers license is sufficient to fly into Puerto Rico?(even for Visa holders)
Does any one know if the same is true on your way back? Can anybody confirm that flying back to Mainland from PR is no different from flying between the 50 states?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Drivers license is sufficient. Flight from PR to US mainland is domestic.
There is no immigration office at the gate for domestic flight.
By the way, I just got back from San Juan through Baltimore today.
For your information, my 485 is now pending. H1B is still valid until Jan 2006.
But the stamp on my passport is expired two years ago (I got the stamp
based on the previous H1B approval.) But, I did not have any problem.
Before this trip, I studied a lot. I visit Baltimore regional office to discuss this
issue. I also called state government of PR and immigration office at San Juan
airport.

If you are in the USVI on a Visa Waiver, can you take the ferry to Tortola BVI then return and get a new 90 day VWPP. ? The FAQ says you can but that it is up to the discretion of the local immigration officials.

I want to fly to USVI from another country using a 30 day return flight but I might sail out on a yacht rather that flying back. If I do that I would like more than the 30 days.

Do they demand that you leave after the 30 days or can you wait up to 90 days before having to leave ?

The embassies are no help at all and know very little, just direct you to the web FAQs.

Trouble is the VWPP is too inflexible , you cant go to immigration expalin your need and get a stamp, you have to leave the US and return.