Travel to Syria will affect citizenship process?

dgtal

Registered Users (C)
I'm a Permanent Resident in the US and I'm ready to submit my US Citizenship application. Working in aviation I have been contracted to install an avionics equipment in Damascus, Syria. I have hear that Syria is listed as a terrorist country. A friend working in same field told me I may have trouble reentering US. I will be out for 1 week. The port of entry will be here in Miami, Florida . I need help from somebody. Thanks

Hmmm, Syria's up there on "the list" with Cuba and North Korea now: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1300.html :
Section 306 of the Enhanced Border Security and Visa Reform Act of 2002 (EBSVRA) pertains to the issuance of visas to aliens from state sponsors of terrorism.

Six countries are now designated as Section 306. They are North Korea, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Iran and Libya.

I don't know how that would affect things. Is the company you are working with a US company? What do they say about US Citizens traveling there? In general, the restrictions you face would be the same as those restrictions that a US Citizen would face (I think, and I'm not a lawyer).

Good luck

FLYDOG thank you for your reply. Yes my company is a US corporation, I will read that link you sent. I have bad feelings....I requested the aircraft to be placed in Dubai, I hope they can fly over there.

Section 306 refers to people who immigrates from there. I'm from Venezuela.
Thank you

Right, sect 306 is for people coming *from* there, not visiting there. But, making a list that includes N. Korea and Cuba is not good.

That said, I can't imagine going to work for a US company beside US citizens can reflect badly on your "moral character".

I don't think there is any embargo against Syria (like there is against N Korea)
US operats an Embassy in Damascus, so I don't think there will be an issue for business travel. Just be prepared for extra questioning when you return back, and keep paperwork to show that your trip was for business under order from your US employer.

You are fine...

dgtal said:
I'm a Permanent Resident in the US and I'm ready to submit my US Citizenship application. Working in aviation I have been contracted to install an avionics equipment in Damascus, Syria. I have hear that Syria is listed as a terrorist country. A friend working in same field told me I may have trouble reentering US. I will be out for 1 week. The port of entry will be here in Miami, Florida . I need help from somebody. Thanks

Dg,

You should have no problems whatsoever coming back to the US or with your N400 application. Since you are there on a company mission, you are in good shape. It would have been different if you were going there for an Al Queda retreat... :D

My advise: get your company to write you an employment verification letter, outlining the nature of your trip to Syria, so that when you come back from this trip, should those ignorant POE officers try to intimidate you, you can save yourself from the harassment of fools. :eek: Also, you can keep a copy of this letter for submission to USCIS during your interview, should they ask about the Syrian trip... :eek: You can mention that Sen. Ben Nelson was there, so he invited you on the trip too.... but a week later... :D

US has an embassy in Syria, so you are fine traveling there... :)

Thank you very much for your answers. I requested them to fly the aircraft to Dubai to perform the work over there. The temperature is freezing in Damascus and the aircraft is sitting in the ramp, not good. Thank you, I was looking for a valid excuse not to go to Syria. The weather condition was the best. I' rather do the work in Dubai, that is an amazing place.

You won't have any problem.

Since we have millions of Cuban-Americans, Iranian Americans, N. Korean Americans, Libyan Americans, Syrian Americans who constantly visit their home country, your one week visit won't be a problem at all.

Cuban-americans can not easily go home (no direct connections, they are barred from spending money there).

I can't imagine a North Korean going home (if there was a way). That would be like going back to visit your relatives in the Stalinist USSR during WWII (aka "the great patriotic war").

I am posting my experience....wanderful place, great people. I didn't have any problems coming back to the US....I will go back in the next 2 weeks...thanks