Travel Re-Entry Permit

caliSun

Registered Users (C)
I heard from a friend that a PR from Asylee can travel with a re-entry permit even going back to your home country. It works more like a US passport, you even need to go to your home country's embassy to get a visa before you go back. And in that case, you don't need your NP.

Anybody has experience about that?

The question is the embassy from your home county would issue you a visa or not, if so, yes you can go home. USCIS would know your home country issued you a visa, it would raise a flag for sure.

it is much easier to revoke GC than citizen,
what I was saying are the Re-entry permit would tell uscis you went to home country which you delcared you can NOT go to or you are afraid of going to.

Calisun

In my opinion, quote "my opinion", if someone will use RTD or Re-entry permit, yes, that will raise flag when you request a visa from your home country embassy. The reason being, both of these documents have your country listed on them. Once you become a US citzen, you'll send your US passport to your home country embassy and that shouldn't be a problem. At that time you'd have given up your previous citizenship and you'd be a proud American which will put things in a whole different perspective.
My suggestion, if someone has to go and have a valid reason to go back due to a genuine reason, he/she should renew his home country passport and go straight from US to his country without trying to trick USCIS. If asked then you can show them proper documentation to prove the dire need to go back home. The other two things to keep in mind besides being honest are;
(1) Keep your trip as short as possible
(2) Try to avoid going back right after you get your GC

I know that we should try to avoid going back at all costs, if possible, but If I had to go back this is what I would do.

This is my personal opinion and I know we all think differently when it comes to this issue.
Best regards,