Travel on AP -

Hari_Seldon

Registered Users (C)
My wife and kid are going to India

They have a valid AP with 2 copies. Please could some1 let me know if both copies are required on the outbound trip/inbound trip or point me to a link. (I read somewhere there should be 3 copies, but I only got 20)

Also they have I-94s (from my maintaining H1 status).

If they use that is there an issue when they return?

Any advice would be appreciated.

warm regards

Hari_Seldon

Hari_Seldon,

INS is not particularly consistent in issuing a certain number of I-512(L) "copies". I usually get 2 sheets, one of which is marked "For the Airline" and another "For the Alien". Others do get anywhere from 1 to 3 "copies".

The re-entry should be simple. One of the Advance Parole sheets will be taken by the immigration (and sent to the CSC by the end of the day), so not to worry if it happens. Recently, Advance Parole people are getting Secondary Inspection, which is normal, too. Your mileage may vary, though, and your wife and kid may spend there either 10 minutes or a couple of hours.

Originally posted by BitterMan
One of the Advance Parole sheets will be taken by the immigration (and sent to the CSC by the end of the day), so not to worry if it happens.

Not necessarily true! Keep the AP used to be prevelant in the times when AP was for single entry. These days AP is for multiple entry and the immigration officers give you back your AP, which you can use for future entries.

When travelling you should carry all the AP documents provided by INS/Lawyer. Carry plenty of copies, and be prepared to wait/explain what AP means to stupid immigration officers.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Thanks Bitterman. 140,

A follow-up: Would Singapore Airport authorities cause any problems on AP? I have heard cases of Frankfurt Airport sending folks back to India/etc.....

Hari_Seldon,

Germans should not be a problem, follow this link to find out the transit visa requirements: http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/consular_services/visa/countrylist.html

If in doubt, get a single-entry Schengen Visa for the week when your family will be returning through Frankfurt. This is a good thing to do, anyway, because if they don't make the connecting flight somehow, the visa will help them to go to the city and stay at a hotel. Otherwise, German Immigration authorities will not issue visas at the airport, and your wife and kid will have to stay at the airport until their rescheduled flight (which might be next day, just as well). A little disaster recovery never hurts, if you know what I mean ;)