Travel during N-400

swairagade

I am planning to apply for US Citizenship next week.

My Dad is sick and he lives in India. I may have to travel to India in case of an emergency situation during N400.

Is it possible to travel to India during N-400 process at any of the following stages:

1. FP
2. Interview
3. Oath
4. Passport

I can ask my neighbour to check my mail and inform me of any communication from Immigration department and inform me while I am in India.

Your input will be highly appreciated.

SWAIRA

Possible but be very careful. Recognise that FP appointment sometimes comes very soon after N-400 filed. Longer wait for interview letter and interview. Be prepared to come back at a moment's notice. If you miss appointments, the situation can be rectified but with extensive delays introduced into your timeline. Make sure that person opening your mail can contact you within 48 hours.

The other caution is to make sure you maintain continuous residence (no trip longer than 6mos) and not exceed 900 days out in 5 year window. These conditions apply right up until you take your oath.

swairagade said:
Is it possible to travel to India during N-400 process at any of the following stages:

1. FP
2. Interview
3. Oath
4. Passport

You can travel at any stage except for that between Oath and Passport. Once you have taken oath, your Indian passport will no longer be valid and you will need an American passport to travel. You can, however, get a passport within days of the oath ceremony if you can show your travel itenerary.

For all other stages you can safely travel as long as you are not breaking the continuous stay rule (not more than 6 months) and you do not miss your next appointment.

Check out:

http://www.uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dl...?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#slb-act316

One of the condition is "..(2) has resided continuously within the United States from the date of the application up to the time of admission to citizenship"

Does it mean I can not travel after I apply for citizenship until I get the approval? I am scheduled to travel outside US for 3 weeks right after I apply for the citizenship but not sure if I can do that. Any suggestions???

You can travel, you just can't "reside" somewhere outside the country. I left the country twice during my N-400 processing.

You can travel

You can travel after applying for N400, I travelling 5 times on business after applying and travelled one week between my interview and oath.

takadigi said:
You can travel at any stage except for that between Oath and Passport. Once you have taken oath, your Indian passport will no longer be valid and you will need an American passport to travel. You can, however, get a passport within days of the oath ceremony if you can show your travel itenerary.

For all other stages you can safely travel as long as you are not breaking the continuous stay rule (not more than 6 months) and you do not miss your next appointment.

not true you can keep you india passport as well as americain one you can have dual citizen don't worry about that!