Travel between interview & oath - San Jose

panzr_ldr

Registered Users (C)
Hello All

I have an intv for US citizenship at the San Jose office on Junre 30th.

However I have heard that it is taking almost 2-3 months in san jose for the oath. And I would like to travel to India sometime b/w July and September.

I have a couple of questions in this regard

a. nowadays what is the time difference b/w intv and oath in san jose?

b. is travel outside the US possible and is there any risk in travelling to India b/w intv and oath dates?

c. If for some reason I miss the oath taking date since I am in India, can I request for a new date when I get back?

Responses much appreciated

Travelling in between

Hi!
My husband was also in India for our marriage between his interview and oath.

We checked with the INS and they suggested that he should not be out of the country for more than 6 months at a stretch between the interview and the oath. So he went back before the six months end.

About the rescheduling, if you read through the posts, people are having very difficult times dealing with INS.

You'd be lucky if you get your oath in time, so try and make sure you don't miss it. Because if you do, and you get it rescheduled, your case may just get into INS's backlog and then there can be no guarantee when you'll get your rescheduled oath.
Get someone to keep checking your mail when you're away so that most importantly, you know about the oath notification.

After that, if you can make it to the oath somehow, do it, that is the best option.
The alternate is,if you can't be there for the oath, send a (registered) letter to the INS telling that you'll not be able to attend your oath ceremony and that they must reschedule it.

All the best.