• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Travel Ban upheld by SCOTUS

5-4 decision on party lines. The Gorsuch appointment paid off for Trump.

For now. As I understand it the ruling basically puts immigration policy in the hands of the president (they specifically said something about the ruling going this way because immigration is in the authority of the president rather than reflecting the soundness of the actual policy.) They may come to regret that “authority” precedent when a Dem gets back in office (hello return of DACA...)

In the 5-4 opinion written by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court found that Trump's travel restriction fell "squarely" within the president's authority. ... Roberts wrote. "..., we must consider not only the statements of a particular President, but also the authority of the Presidency itself." While the court upheld Trump's travel restriction, Roberts noted that the ruling did not reflect the court's judgment on the "soundness" of the policy.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-muslim-travel-ban-case.html

For now. As I understand it the ruling basically puts immigration policy in the hands of the president (they specifically said something about the ruling going this way because immigration is in the authority of the president rather than reflecting the soundness of the actual policy.) They may come to regret that “authority” precedent when a Dem gets back in office (hello return of DACA...)

In the 5-4 opinion written by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court found that Trump's travel restriction fell "squarely" within the president's authority. ... Roberts wrote. "..., we must consider not only the statements of a particular President, but also the authority of the Presidency itself." While the court upheld Trump's travel restriction, Roberts noted that the ruling did not reflect the court's judgment on the "soundness" of the policy.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-muslim-travel-ban-case.html

If that’s the case re Immigragtion is in his hands then we can kiss the dv goodbye. It just seems strange then that they would try and push through legislation to change immigration policy’s when all he has to do is issue an executive order and it’s done.

If that’s the case re Immigragtion is in his hands then we can kiss the dv goodbye. It just seems strange then that they would try and push through legislation to change immigration policy’s when all he has to do is issue an executive order and it’s done.
He certainly could issue an order to end DV. But that’s not his main/only aim. It’s part of the horse trading of US politics and linked to other stuff. He can’t sign an executive order giving himself funding for the wall ...

He certainly could issue an order to end DV. But that’s not his main/only aim. It’s part of the horse trading of US politics and linked to other stuff. He can’t sign an executive order giving himself funding for the wall ...
I wonder if that will happen in the near future and if it does does it come into effect immediately?

Really? I don't think so. POTUS doesn't make or change laws, but does decide how those laws are implemented. So - he could issue orders that hampers the DV process, but not just strike down the DV process as a law. So - that might end up the same way - but not likely. In fact - if he could have done that - I'm sure he would have done so when he heard about DV a couple of months ago.

Awesome dissent by Ginsburg and Sotomayor.

any predictions or assessment on how this will affect the rest of the VB or re-allocation of visas, considering those with high case numbers in OC regions, NA Region, or SA regions?

Note that there is no immediate change in the situation. The ban was already allowed to go into effect on December 4, 2017, and any effects on visas have already been happening for half a year.

Yup.

The evangelicals did a deal with the devil to get what they wanted. They must be so proud.

well, let's see who else deals. With McCain out the picture at least for now, the Republicans need a couple of Democrats. Speculation is the red state dems will go with Trump with an eye on their mid-terms... so let's see if they really are prepared to sell out the next 40 or so years for the country in exchange for a chance at retaining their own seats for the next few years.

well, let's see who else deals. With McCain out the picture at least for now, the Republicans need a couple of Democrats. Speculation is the red state dems will go with Trump with an eye on their mid-terms... so let's see if they really are prepared to sell out the next 40 or so years for the country in exchange for a chance at retaining their own seats for the next few years.
They don't need any Democrats. Without McCain, they have 50 votes in the Senate. That's enough to confirm Supreme Court justices now.

They don't need any Democrats. Without McCain, they have 50 votes in the Senate. That's enough to confirm Supreme Court justices now.

Depends on Murkowski and Collins too though.
All kind of futile speculation anyway till we hear an actual nominee.

There are too many people in this country that believe their religious beliefs should be allowed to shape laws. Ironically these are the same numpties that have a fit if anyone talks about Sharia law shaping laws. So - those numpties wanted an administration that "God could use". They would say of Trump, I don't care what he did/said/thinks/doesn't know - because "God can use this man". They will inflict total abortion bans on us in many states (a position that less than 20% of the country support), they will attack equal rights for LGTBQ, they will attack brown immigration and so on - all because it says so in their cherrypicked verses from their "good book". Frankly it's horrific - and I can't imagine it won't happen. I don't think the GOP are quite stupid enough to allow this replacement to go past the 2018 elections - they will force something through while they can.

There are too many people in this country that believe their religious beliefs should be allowed to shape laws. Ironically these are the same numpties that have a fit if anyone talks about Sharia law shaping laws. So - those numpties wanted an administration that "God could use". They would say of Trump, I don't care what he did/said/thinks/doesn't know - because "God can use this man". They will inflict total abortion bans on us in many states (a position that less than 20% of the country support), they will attack equal rights for LGTBQ, they will attack brown immigration and so on - all because it says so in their cherrypicked verses from their "good book". Frankly it's horrific - and I can't imagine it won't happen. I don't think the GOP are quite stupid enough to allow this replacement to go past the 2018 elections - they will force something through while they can.

It doesn't matter what your religion is or who is or isn't a numptie - what matters is that there is a clear separation of church and state in the constitution, but apparently many evangelicals only respect the 2nd amendment of that constitution. Or something.

Make of it what you will, but McConnell already promised a vote "this Fall". Height of hypocrisy since the Merrick Garland nomination block..