Travel after GC

pondicherry

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,
One quick question. I have recently got my GC. If I want to travel abroad, what's the deal, do I need a white passport (what is it and how do you get it by the way?), or can I just travel with GC.
Many thanks in advance.
P

pondicherry said:
Hi Gurus,
One quick question. I have recently got my GC. If I want to travel abroad, what's the deal, do I need a white passport (what is it and how do you get it by the way?), or can I just travel with GC.
Many thanks in advance.
P

If have a country of citizenship, you must use a passport issued by that country in addition to the GC. If you have no country of citizenship, you can apply for a white passport from USCIS and must use that one when you travel, in addition to the GC. Exceptions: travel to MX/CAN and some Carribean islands do not require passport (yet), so GC is sufficient for these destinations.

pondicherry said:
Hi Gurus,
Many thanks in advance.
P

If you plan to stay outside the US for more than a year, you need to apply for re-entry permit (I-131) which is sometimes referred to as "White passport". If your trip is for less than a year, then you dont need it.

Your GC is only useful for you to enter US, but you need a visa for other countries you plan to visit (except the country for which you hold a passport for).

Hope this helps