Translation of Birth Certificate

neelmanish

Registered Users (C)
My wife's birth certificate is in Hindi - so one of us will translate it and certify the translation. I assume we can just type the translation on a page and attach to a copy of the birth certificate?

Also, can I make a photocopy of the naturalization certificate? During my naturalization ceremony, they said we can make photocopy for filing I-130.

If by mistake we leave out some document when we file the I-130, I-485, and I-765, do we yet get the EAD along with a RFE? Or, do they send RFE first delaying the EAD?

Thanks for any replies!!

You need a copy of the birth certificate with a translation. The important fact is that the translation should be certified.

You HAVE to send a photocopy of the naturalization certificate. Don't tell me you were planning to send the original. (Take the original with you when you go for the interview though.).

If you get an RFE, that will delay your EAD and AP. Those 2 are based on them having a completed AOS application on file. So unless everything they need is in file, it won't be a complete application and they can't process the EAD or AP.

Not sure about that... but what I did with my birth certificate, I translated it, put "I certify blah blah blah...." Then I asked a friend of mine who is an English professor in a University (who's fluent in my native language and English), to look at it, making sure everything is correct. Then he signed it, dated, and put his name, address and phone number. Hope this helps.

The translation of a birth certificate MUST be translated by a certified translator and stamped by him/her as well. You cannot translate it by yourself (I mean you certainly can but USCIS will reject it).

Dani said:
The translation of a birth certificate MUST be translated by a certified translator and stamped by him/her as well. You cannot translate it by yourself (I mean you certainly can but USCIS will reject it).
They never rejected my translations!
... and I don't have a stamp ;)

They did not reject ours either. For all I know, thats the norm. May be ur case might have been rejected due to some other reason. Of course, I would not suggest the applicant to do it themselves.Someone else should sign and notarize it for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
randallemery said:
You just got lucky. That's not the norm.
What is the norm? And, where did you read about it?
All it says in General Tips - http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm#H, is the following:
13. Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.
The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled .

Signature
Date Typed Name
Address

needurhelp said:
They did not reject ours either. For all I know, thats the norm. May be ur case might have been rejected due to some other reason. Of course, I would not suggest the applicant to do it themselves.Someone else should sign and notarize it for them.

Not really, there wasn't any other reason.That's what they told me on interview. May be they changed the rules recently? I got my GC 3 years ago, so it won't matter now :) All I know that it is better to do it via certified translator (advice from INS officer).

Dani said:
You are lucky. They rejected mine, and I am linguist for god's sake.

I tend to believe that you were the unlucky one the officer who processed your application was an incompetent.

Well, the USCIS instruction says:..."I certify that I'm fluent in English and Xxxxxxx language"....it doesn't require to be a Certified Translator...could be anybody fluent in English and...

I've asked a friend of mine to sign the translation, just in case, to avoid the suspicion of "conflict of interest" if I, the petitioner, do the translation.

So far no problem, and I'm ready to fight them if they will ask for another translation.

To the OP: Yes you can and you have to make a copy of the Naturalization certificate and attach it to the I-130.

Is good to have copies of the Naturalization certificate kept in a different place, just in case, God forbidden something happens with the original.

Suzy977 said:
I tend to believe that you were the unlucky one the officer who processed your application was an incompetent.

Well, the USCIS instruction says:..."I certify that I'm fluent in English and Xxxxxxx language"....it doesn't require to be a Certified Translator...could be anybody fluent in English and...

I've asked a friend of mine to sign the translation, just in case, to avoid the suspicion of "conflict of interest" if I, the petitioner, do the translation.

So far no problem, and I'm ready to fight them if they will ask for another translation.

To the OP: Yes you can and you have to make a copy of the Naturalization certificate and attach it to the I-130.

Is good to have copies of the Naturalization certificate kept in a different place, just in case, God forbidden something happens with the original.

Well, Suzy, I won't argue - may be you're right... I guess I was misleaded by another INS a-hole who doesn't know Jack... Oh well, it's all behind me.

Dani said:
Well, Suzy, I won't argue - may be you're right... I guess I was misleaded by another INS a-hole who doesn't know Jack... Oh well, it's all behind me.

-Either, like you've said, maybe the rules were different 3 years ago.

-Or, the INS officer, also like you've said, was another incompetent a-hole.

Good thing is that you got what you wanted and this is past...

Bad thing is that because their incompetence, you, I and many others get delayed, and in my case for example, we're talking about years and years...

Suzy977 said:
-Either, like you've said, maybe the rules were different 3 years ago.

-Or, the INS officer, also like you've said, was another incompetent a-hole.

Good thing is that you got what you wanted and this is past...

Bad thing is that because their incompetence, you, I and many others get delayed, and in my case for example, we're talking about years and years...

Exactly! Thanks for the positive input, Suzy
:)
At least other people on the forum will know they can do it themselves.