Transit visa for Germany

manikh

I know that pretty much everyone knows that RTD doesn't need a visa for Germany. But since we're going there, I thought I should make sure.
We're going to Turkey to visit some of my family and the tickets would come out really expensive unless we made a stop in Europe so I chose Germany since I had heard that we(RTD holders) don't need a visa. But I never read anywhere that we don't need a transit visa. So here is my question: we are just changing flights in Germany: do we need a transit visa or any kind of visa?
Thanks,
Manikh

as far as I know, since you dont want a Visa for a county you wont need the transitt visa either.
I am going to Turkey too to see my wife in 2 days.
I bought a ticket from Delta and the stop is in JFK I bought a month ago for September 17 , $988 I dont know howmuch are you talking about.
Delta is a fine flight
Good luck.
If you still doubt to do so, call German embassy close to your house.

Thanks for the input nasrmobin.
But I was checking the German consulate website today and it said that green card holders don't need a visa but if you're a citizen from certain countries (which mine would be in the list) then I need a transit visa . Here's the excerpt :
The vast majority of travellers do not need a visa when airtransitting through Germany. However, citizens of some countries do need an airport transit visa.
http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/consular_services/visa/transit.html

and then in a different place it said that RTD holders don't need a visa, so I don't really know which one applies to me.
Anybody has any ideas?
Manikh

manikh said:
Thanks for the input nasrmobin.
But I was checking the German consulate website today and it said that green card holders don't need a visa but if you're a citizen from certain countries (which mine would be in the list) then I need a transit visa . Here's the excerpt :
The vast majority of travellers do not need a visa when airtransitting through Germany. However, citizens of some countries do need an airport transit visa.
http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/consular_services/visa/transit.html

and then in a different place it said that RTD holders don't need a visa, so I don't really know which one applies to me.
Anybody has any ideas?
Manikh

Manikh, If you have a visa for Turkey, you are ok. I have visited Ankara and stopped in Germany and did not require a Transit Visa.. But since RTD holders don't need a visa, you automatically do not need a Transit visa only if its non european country(TUrkey is not yet).

But just to be safe, please print a letter from the embassy(search these forums) and take it with you. That letter says that RTD holders do not need a Visa to enter germany. Transit theoretically is entering a country and thats how they look at it.

Do not confuse yourself more

manikh said:
I know that pretty much everyone knows that RTD doesn't need a visa for Germany. But since we're going there, I thought I should make sure.
We're going to Turkey to visit some of my family and the tickets would come out really expensive unless we made a stop in Europe so I chose Germany since I had heard that we(RTD holders) don't need a visa. But I never read anywhere that we don't need a transit visa. So here is my question: we are just changing flights in Germany: do we need a transit visa or any kind of visa?
Thanks,
Manikh

Question to Wantmygcnow and Manikh: how long it took Turkish Consulate to issue a VISA to Turkey in your RTD?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
nasrmobin said:
as far as I know, since you dont want a Visa for a county you wont need the transitt visa either.
I am going to Turkey too to see my wife in 2 days.
I bought a ticket from Delta and the stop is in JFK I bought a month ago for September 17 , $988 I dont know howmuch are you talking about.
Delta is a fine flight
Good luck.
If you still doubt to do so, call German embassy close to your house.

Are you Turkish or is your wife Turkish? Just curious.

manikh said:
But I was checking the German consulate website today and it said that green card holders don't need a visa but if you're a citizen from certain countries (which mine would be in the list) then I need a transit visa
manikh, since you mentioned GC , I assume you are a GC holder , right? in that case you do not need a transit visa regardless of what your nationality is. If you read that page it says "exception to the rule" and mentions green card, so by having a green card eventhough you are from one of those nationalities that need a transit visa, you would be exempt from that requirement....By the way I assume you are taking Lufthansa. There are other airlines (like KLM) who would fly you to Turkey with one stop in some Euro country and they would be also as cheap as Luftansa. Look into other airlines as well so that you won;t bother yourself with this transit visa business, unless you have a GC.

question To wantmygcnow, or someone else

Hi

I am from Colombia, and I want to travel to Germany with my RTD without GC. I need to get visa to get in Germany? I want to stay for a week

Thanks

Jupise, you do not need a visa on your RTD to visit Germany. Here is the link where it says :"At present, holders of US refugee travel documents do not require a visa to travel to Germany for tourism, transit or business."

clotty

Clotty

Thanks my fried for you information. It is nice to know. I am planning to spend a week on World Cup. DO you know If in England is the same? or I need visa

Thanks for all

Sorry, I do not know about UK. I did a quick yahoo search for you but could not get any info about it. Edited to add: OK, I just found this. It says on this link : "Do I need a visa to visit the UK?
You will need a visa if you:

*are a national of one of the countries listed at the end of this guidance
*are stateless (you do not have a nationality)
*hold a non-national travel document (a travel document which does not give you the nationality of the country that issued it), or
*hold a passport issued by an authority that is not recognised in the UK. " So I guess, you need a British visa on your RTD. But double check it with a British Consulate or Embassy around your area.

jupise said:
Clotty

Thanks my fried for you information. It is nice to know. I am planning to spend a week on World Cup. DO you know If in England is the same? or I need visa

Thanks for all

with an rtd, you do need a visa to enter the uk; whether in transit or otherwise. unless you have a gc.