Transfer

crazygc

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Due to the bad US economy, my employer is transferring me to our London office. I will have to relocate to London which means I will be paid my salary in British pounds, and will not have any ties to the US (expect taking my own vacation and coming to US for some time)

I have a US Green -card for the last 1.5 years. Now I don't know what to do. I definitely donot want to give up my Green-card; but at the same time ; I am having a tough time finding a job here.
So, i want to take up this offer for being in London.

What can I do? Is there some way of maintaining my GC?
Also, I have seen a lot of people here talking about re-entry permit (but for employment based stuff - all of them have been saying that they will be going on a short assignment and still be on US payroll).
My situation is different. I will be longer be a US employee.
What should I do? Can I still apply for re-entry permit?

more information

Mr. JoeF,

I read your post. Thank you for that.
I understand that it is not enough to come back to the US once a year.
I am ready to file US taxes.

But, if my employer asks me to relocate outside of US; that is not a temporary stay. My employer says that go to London for 2 years (be on UK payroll); and after that if there is an option to be here in US; we will bring you back.
Will my stay in London be considered temporary or permanent?

Please let me know

Mr. JoeF,
I understand what you are saying.
I am ready to pay US taxes
My employer will be ok with giving me a letter that says that for 2 years they want me to be in London office. After that they will bring me back to the US office.
This should be sufficient to establish the temporary nature of work.
Now once it is established that I will be back in 2 years, is it ok to NOT be on US payroll for those 2 years, and be in UK payroll? (I understand that I have to pay taxes for US for these too...)

With all this, will it be ok for me to have a re-entry permit; or am I still jeopardising my GC with this?

Thanks

Joef,
Thanks for your response. I am not implying that I want you to tell me whether my case will turn out ok or not

What I am interested in knowing is that -
For employees if companies transfer them to offices out of the country (with condition that they will bring them back after 2 years - if similar work position exists in the US); is it a good enough reason for INS to give a re-entry permit?

JoeF

As per your advice, I spoke to a few lawyers. The biggest issue that I am facing is that it seems some of the lawyers I spoke to knew less about this subject than I do now just by reading your posts! (What a pity...)
Well, can you please please tell me the names of some reliable lawyers that you know who deal with this subject?
The second point -
You say that there cannot be any if's, etc.. I understand what you are saying - However, from what my understanding is - Applying for a re-entry permit is a very straightforward thing - and for the first re-entry permit, normally nobody has any problems. That is true even for people who really donot have any valid reason (except personal reasons).
Am I right in that?

I understand that you cannot promise - but then if lawyers themselves donot know enough - advice (or gut feel...) of a knowledgeable person like you is all that I can do!