Transfer Social Security Money from US to Canada

avi_canada

Hello!!

I am a new member and this is my first posting. I am in the US on H1B about 4 1/2 years. I just got my canadian PR and am planning to move there in a couple of months. My question is: Will I be able to move the social security money I have been paying all these years to canada. I understand that canada and US has some agreement on this. Can someone thtow some light on this?? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

- Avi.

This is my understanding about SS and Canadian Pension Plan:

First of all to be eligible for SS benefits you need to contribute for 40 quarters (i.e. 10 years), and assuming that there will still be money left to pay us, and SS dosen't go belley up!!

I don't think you will be able to transfer the money. However upon your retirement in Canada, you can collect pension from the Canadian government, and also collect SS benefits from the US.

I am in same situation. Worked for approx 4.5 years in US.

Wouldnt it be great if I could get some of it....

Good Subject!

Guys, this is a very good topic, anyone with info, please share your thoughts on this.

Been working in the US over 5.5 years and planning to move to Canada in the next couple of months. Had no idea and am wondering about the fate of the SS money. Anyone please provide some inputs on how to deal with this. Thanks.