transfer pending H4 to F1

xy wang

Hi,friends,

I got laid off by the end of last month (3/29/02), before lay off date (3/29/02), I have filed application materials for transferring from H1B to H4, then I got receipt from INS (Vermont Branch)and told me it will take 120 to 180 days to process H1B to H4 case. Now, I got I-20 from a university with a full financial aid (TA position).

My questions are:

(1) Can I transfer my Pending H4 to F1 now, or I have to get my H4 approved first, then transfer from existing H4 (not pending H4) to F1 ?

Because time is very important for me, I was admitted for Fall Semester(end of August), 2002 by the above university.

(2)If I can transfer my status ( from Pending H4 to F1 ) now.

(a) How should I deal with my current pending H4, do I need to withdraw this case or ask INS to keep on processing my application for F1 visa based on current pending H4 ?

(b) For I-94 Card and my latest I-20 Form, Should I submit the Copies of I-94 and I-20, or Notarized copies of I-94 and I-20, or Original I-94 and I-20 ?

I noticed that different person has different opinions about I-94 and I-20 submission, and attorneys said that all documents can be submitted by copies (not originals)if these documents are submitted by attorneys themselves, which one is correct ?

Thank you for all friends\' reply

Samuel W