Transfer of OCI visa to new passport

VS007

Registered Users (C)
I got a new passport and called up the consulate to transfer the OCI visa from old PP to the new one. Guess what?
They have no procedure to transfer OCI visa like other visas, instead I have to apply Part A and Part B just like a new app. It goes to India and comes back just like a new app. Only good news is I pay only 24$.
Indian Bureaucracy...:D

Really ? I read somewhere (on the oci website I think) that you have to carry your old passport with the oci stamp in case you change your passport. Is this not correct ?

I got a new passport and called up the consulate to transfer the OCI visa from old PP to the new one. Guess what?
They have no procedure to transfer OCI visa like other visas, instead I have to apply Part A and Part B just like a new app. It goes to India and comes back just like a new app. Only good news is I pay only 24$.
Indian Bureaucracy...:D

Really ? I read somewhere (on the oci website I think) that you have to carry your old passport with the oci stamp in case you change your passport. Is this not correct ?

Yes, you can do that. Thats universally acceptable for all visas of all countries. You can also transfer your visa to your new passport, even 10 year Indian visa, except for the OCI stamp.

Vs007 is right. You can do that.
If you do not want to carry old passports, there is a separate form for that service and it costs $25 I think. Check the FAQ on Houston website. There is a question/answer on exact same issue.

Vs007 is right. You can do that.
If you do not want to carry old passports, there is a separate form for that service and it costs $25 I think. Check the FAQ on Houston website. There is a question/answer on exact same issue.

Thanks! You are right, the Houston FAQ does say that. Wish I was livin in TX.
Unfortunately NY has outsourced its visa operations and to an agency and they do not deal with U visa and when I spoke to Indian consulate's OCI person, he asked me re apply as stated in #1.

25. Will a new OCI visa sticker be issued on the new foreign passport after the expiry of the old passport?
Yes. On payment of requisite fee, a new OCI 'U' visa sticker will be issued. However, the applicant can continue to carry the old passport wherein OCI 'U' visa sticker was pasted along with new passport for visiting India without seeking a new visa, as the visa is for lifelong.

======================================

New INFO:

Looks like just recently NY Consulate incorporated the feature of re issuance of U visa.
Yippeee!

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=417

Last edited by a moderator: