Transfer OCI to new US passport

omfrad

Registered Users (C)
I need to transfer my OCI and U-visa stamp to a new US passport through the Houston consulate.
1) Do I need to send in my old passport, new passport etc along with the application or just the copies as the website says?
2) If only copies are needed, will they ever stamp the new passport with the U-visa and issue a new OCI certificate?
3) The paperwork is sent to CGI Houston and not Travisa, correct?

Thank you!

I think you should only transfer the OCI if you're 50 years old. If you're just doing it just for the sake of not carrying the old passport, I wouldn't say it's the best shot. Houston sucks at OCI applications. They're currently taking too long. But if you must transfer the OCI, then check the guidelines at Travisa website as they're up to date.

Have to do it as it is for my son who is under 20 and now has a new US passport.
I accessed info posted via the link shown but nowhere does it say that original documents are needed. I don't know how they would put the new U-visa on the new passport without it.
Also, instructions seems to indicate that for OCI Miscellaneous Services, the application needs to be sent directly to CGI-Houston and not Travis. Travis processes brand new OCI applications! I am totally confused!

Have to do it as it is for my son who is under 20 and now has a new US passport.
I accessed info posted via the link shown but nowhere does it say that original documents are needed. I don't know how they would put the new U-visa on the new passport without it.
Also, instructions seems to indicate that for OCI Miscellaneous Services, the application needs to be sent directly to CGI-Houston and not Travis. Travis processes brand new OCI applications! I am totally confused!

Forget the CGI. They don't touch your applications at the counter. You will only be wasting time sending the application to the consulate as it will go unprocessed. You MUST send the application to Travisa. Go to the link provided by IDK, select your state and select the service of "OCI Re-Issue (New Passport)"

After that you will see a yellow box stating the below information:
An OCI holder should apply for re-issue of their OCI card if they are issued a new passport:

For re-issue of an OCI card on a new passport, the following guidelines apply:

For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport.
For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

Click on View Requirements box and it will provide you a list of documents required to be sent along the application.
Following documents are required in Original:
#6. Your original expired US passport containing the U-Visa is required.
#7. The original OCI Card must be provided, along with copy of registration certificate.

Travisa India Outsourcing
Attention: OCI Mail Department - (9 Digit Application Id)
4100 Westheimer Road, Suite #113
Houston, TX 77027
is the address where your papers must be sent directly. Either in person or via mail. If you live nearby the Travisa office, then I would strongly suggest you do a walk in, you will be glad you did a walk-in. It saves you time, money, and provides you the corrections that you may need to make on your application right on the spot; rather than having Travisa send your application back to you for a missing signature.

Good Luck!

oops my bad I just saw that Houston accepts OCI Misc. Services. If I were you, I'd still send it to Travisa as it's processing faster than the OCI's sent directly to the consulate.

Good Luck again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the CGI. They don't touch your applications at the counter. You will only be wasting time sending the application to the consulate as it will go unprocessed. You MUST send the application to Travisa. Go to the link provided by IDK, select your state and select the service of "OCI Re-Issue (New Passport)"

After that you will see a yellow box stating the below information:
An OCI holder should apply for re-issue of their OCI card if they are issued a new passport:

For re-issue of an OCI card on a new passport, the following guidelines apply:

For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport.
For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

Click on View Requirements box and it will provide you a list of documents required to be sent along the application.
Following documents are required in Original:
#6. Your original expired US passport containing the U-Visa is required.
#7. The original OCI Card must be provided, along with copy of registration certificate.

Travisa India Outsourcing
Attention: OCI Mail Department - (9 Digit Application Id)
4100 Westheimer Road, Suite #113
Houston, TX 77027
is the address where your papers must be sent directly. Either in person or via mail. If you live nearby the Travisa office, then I would strongly suggest you do a walk in, you will be glad you did a walk-in. It saves you time, money, and provides you the corrections that you may need to make on your application right on the spot; rather than having Travisa send your application back to you for a missing signature.

Good Luck!

oops my bad I just saw that Houston accepts OCI Misc. Services. If I were you, I'd still send it to Travisa as it's processing faster than the OCI's sent directly to the consulate.

Good Luck again!

Thank you! Yes, it is indeed very confusing as the required documents (original) are different!! The fees are different as well with the CGI website quoting $25 and Travis, $28 (consular fees alone)! This is ridiculous!

I've a feeling that they forgot to update the consulate's website. Here in CA, they won't even help you if you try to do a walk in at the consulate...they'll shoo you to Travisa. Some people have been lucky enough to get an answer as they were traveling as an emergency. But I would still suggest Travisa for your situation. In my opinion, they both suck, but from my experience, Travisa sucks lesser than the consulate.