Traffic tickets

Krutika

Registered Users (C)
I'm reading thru all the posts and I just realised we have not included our traffic tickets. Both of us got one each but I think they were before we got our GC ...I'm a little worried, I don't even remember the date we got the tickets. They were in a different state we are applying our citizenship from. Any help on what we can do?

thanks

Krutika said:
I'm reading thru all the posts and I just realised we have not included our traffic tickets. Both of us got one each but I think they were before we got our GC ...I'm a little worried, I don't even remember the date we got the tickets. They were in a different state we are applying our citizenship from. Any help on what we can do?

thanks

You may still be able to get information on the tickets from the counties that you received the citations in. If you are successful getting the information on the dispositions of the tickets, just take that to the interview and give it to the adjudicating officer. He/she will just add it to your application.

Normal traffic tickets have no bearing on the application. I was told so explicitly by the adjudicating officer at my interview.

I did not mention my tickets as well. Seems like the most common problem while filling out N400.
I went to the DMV office near my house and they gave me a DMV record for the last 10 years. One ticket that I had got for which I could not attend school is on the record. But the fact that my license is valid till 2010 says that I am not in any kind of violation.
I simply plan to take this record and tell the officer that I overlooked my speeding tickets in the section 10 of the form. I don't have any record of the other 2 tickets since I went to the traffic school.
Fortunately, I have not got any tickets for the last 7 years. I feel this should be enough to prove my intent is clean.

I requested and got the copies of my tickets from different states and will notify them at my interview. I did not disclose the tickets on my N400. I hope this should not be a problem.

Regards
Vicmac

Thanks all for replying.

Both of us had the option of going to Traffic school, so it did not get on the record, besides in the state where I got it , they do not retain records for more that 3 years and we got it more than 5 years ago. Planning to write to the DMV and get records, hopefully we should get it before the interview. Plan to tell that we did not realise we were supposed to include citations....

I guess it's going to be a matter of luck what the officer decides to do.

Don't bring up the traffic tickets unless the officer even asks you. The traffic tickets are no big deal.

Sri

srivenu said:
Don't bring up the traffic tickets unless the officer even asks you. The traffic tickets are no big deal.

Sri

bad suggestion. it is not a big deal or not. it is the matter of fact telling "lies".

disclosing traffic tickets (unless DUI) will not get you into troubles.

However, not disclosing any traffic tickets will cause denial of your application.

OCworker do you know anyone who got denied because of "not disclosing traffic tickets"? Or is it just your imagination? Maybe Sri is right. Best is ask Johnny Cash!

genesis1 said:
OCworker do you know anyone who got denied because of "not disclosing traffic tickets"? Or is it just your imagination? Maybe Sri is right. Best is ask Johnny Cash!

It is not my imagination. It is written in the guide line.

Telling lie under Oath will result of citizenship application being denied

plain and simple.

also, i was saying telling lie. it just happens not disclosing traffic tickets is a lie because traffic tickets are citiation. In the N400 form, it asked "have you ever citied by .." etc etc. If you answer no, and if you received traffic ticket previously, it means you intend to lie.

However, I do not have any cases I can show you "not disclosing traffic tickets would result an application being denied". However, you can read many posts about "lying under oath / on your application" will result your application gets denied.

it is the applicant decision to disclose or not.

I did not disclose the traffic ticket on my N400 form. However, I told the interview officer upfront that I did not know I needed to include the traffic tickets. I handed her a list of traffic tickets I received, and she put them on my n400 form.

So, in the future, they cannot charge me saying I lied under Oath because I did not disclose the citation info. The most important thing is, it does not cause me any problems besides of the background check delayed a bit.

the famous quote: "if you can't serve the time, don't do the crime"

Last edited by a moderator: