Traffic Citation: Day before the interview

redink

Registered Users (C)
I have interview tomorrow morning 8:30AM. I packed all my required documents in a bag including license and went out to corner Walgreens for a photocopy.

Officer pulled me over for not putting turn indicator getting out of parking lot. I didn't have my drivers license with me which is all in the packet for tomorrow's interview at home.

Officer said, you have to turn on the indicator for all turns (gave verabal warning) but gave a ticket/citation for not have license on me. He said, you have 10 days to show up at the court w/proof of license and this ticket will be canceled.

Now comes the problem.
1) This is my first ticket in 15 years and I have answered to NO in the citations section.
2) The court is not open until 8:30AM and my interview is also at 8:30AM. So, I will go to the interview with an outstanding ticket.

I went to police dept with license 30 minutes after getting the ticket but police dept says they only issues tickets and I have to show the proof in the court.

What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not mention the new ticket unless specifically asked.

If I was asked (since I was under oath to tell the truth) I would tell the IO exactly what happened. Tell him you forgot your license at home and happened to be pulled over and was given a ticket. Tell him the officer said that the ticket would be dismissed if you came within X time and showed your license. Show the IO your license. Tell the IO that you could not get to the court since they opened at 8:30am (the same time as your interview). Tell him that you swear you are going to leave the interview and go directly to the court and show them your license to have it dismissed.

If you show the IO your license and state your intention to take care of it I doubt it would be an issue. Again, I would not bring it up unless you were specifically asked.

DR_Z

Its not a big deal. There is also no need to tell the whole story. Just tell the officer that you forgot your wallet at home and got a citation for not carrying the driving license.

All the best.

Thanks for the help!

I will update on the outcome tomorrow! I have to drive 3.5 hours to INS office.

certainly no big deal once u show your dl at the courthouse they are going to charge u a 5$/10$ cancellation fee thats it.However it is important to discuss the situation with ur io tomorrow...
remember by telling them about your problems only thing is your process might get delayed but not cancelled...but by not telling them the chances of ur application gettng denied definitely exists...
whether 5$ or 5000$ a brush with the law is a brush with the law!

I disagree. I would only tell him if he asks. When you filled out the form you filled it out truthfully. When he reviews the form you have to be truthful! If he does not ask then I would not offer the information. If he ask then you have to tell.

Just my opinion.

DR_Z

Dr z i totally agree with you,however your future inputs will be sincerely appreciated.
say i file my application,go for fp and might take a vacation to mexico for 2 days,i come back and realize i have to go to interview following monday.now everything i have told on application is true,so i take iv and io never asks me about visit to mexico, so i never tell her.
she says u passed the interview and while going out she realises she might wanna verify ur passport one last time and sees the stamp on passport by mexican authorities,so practically u have witheld information from her.
what would u do,try to convince her that you never lied? :eek:
remember: witholding information is synonymous to misleading for uscis.

As she went through the form and asked me if I had been out of the country I would say Yes. If she did not ask I would not provide extra information that I had. I am not withholding information. If they ask me I will tell them. If they don't ask I am not going to give extra information that is going to complicate their decsion.

That said I would qualify that to say that unless the information was significant I would not bring it up. If it was significant then I would. Certainly travel to mexico for the weekend or a traffic ticket that is going to be dismissed is not signifcant.

Just my opinion....

DR_Z

you are the doc! so u should be prescribing the right thing ;)
i simply dont have time for arguing on a matter such as a traffic ticket....
my opinion no one loses anything by declaring a ticket neither does anyone gain anything from not disclosing information...
when it comes to immigration even if u'r right you tend to have sleepless night's. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
well,
so you are saying just keepquite and dont disclose anything to io on iv till the io asks u about tickets, right? :confused:

Your obsession with JoeF has not died even after he was banned. I guess Dr_Z could prescribe you some anti anxiety pills?
qili said:
.... We simply aren't that good in forecasting the future. JoeF was caught in that in his incorrect interpretation of the form...... However, if JoeF had his way, you would have just committed a deportable immigration fraud right there by withholding material information, :)

Interview outcome

When going through the citations section, I told the officer, I received a ticket yesterday which would be canceled if I show up in a court with a Proof of license. He changed the question from No to Yes and wrote Non-DUI citation in the description.

I also said, I do not know for sure whether I owe any $ to state of Michigan for this ticket. Officer told me these types small of things (Below $500) doesn't matter.

Came back, went to court directly with proof of license - she stamped Proof Received and cancelled the ticket (took less than 30 seconds). The lady also said, this will not appear anywhere in the record unless you don't show up within a given time-frame.

Thanks for all the help.

What else happened at the interview? How did it go? Did you get approved? When is your oath ceremony?

Details please!

DR_Z

Since Part 13 of the form (signature at interview) has to be completed at the time of the interview, it would appear that anything pertinent to the application, such as a traffic stop, that happened after the application was filed would have to be revealed at the time of the interview.

C R S said:
Since Part 13 of the form (signature at interview) has to be completed at the time of the interview, it would appear that anything pertinent to the application, such as a traffic stop, that happened after the application was filed would have to be revealed at the time of the interview.

we have a winner!