To Marry or not To marry? That's the question

thedude

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gang.

Mind sharing your thought on this? I plan to apply for my Citizenship paper works sometime next year around Nov 2005. So should I get married before application or after I got my citizenship?

Which one processed faster. Get married, apply K-Visa for my fiancee, then when she is here in US get married then apply I-485? Or get married before getting my citizenship, then applied for her I-485 and have to leave her in her own country? Or perhaps there's other venue? :confused:

This really sucks having to make this kind of choice for your most important thing in your life. :mad:

Please advise gang... Many thanks in advance for your help..

The Dude

I think you should consider possibility of her coming to US by herself on a H (or more risky, F visa). If that doesn't work out, I think you're better getting citizenship and then applying for her, as the wait will be shorter.

~T

thedude said:
Hi Gang.

Mind sharing your thought on this? I plan to apply for my Citizenship paper works sometime next year around Nov 2005. So should I get married before application or after I got my citizenship?

Which one processed faster. Get married, apply K-Visa for my fiancee, then when she is here in US get married then apply I-485? Or get married before getting my citizenship, then applied for her I-485 and have to leave her in her own country? Or perhaps there's other venue? :confused:

This really sucks having to make this kind of choice for your most important thing in your life. :mad:

Please advise gang... Many thanks in advance for your help..

The Dude

If possible get her on K1 visa after your citizenship. That is the fastest, you can then marry her in US within 90 days of her entry into US.

Does anyone know what Teresa Heinz Kerry applied when she first came to USA? She is African, so much have come on DCF.

--------------------------------------
Life is Great, Bush is back.

Immg-Jock said:
Does anyone know what Teresa Heinz Kerry applied when she first came to USA? She is African, so much have come on DCF.

Life is Great, Bush is back.

Is your jock strap a little to tight?

Thanks, Talkative, Phillydude, JoeF and Immg-Jock.

Mind elaborate a bit what DCF will do? I mean, assuming you guys meant after we got married we went to DCF to apply for what? K1 or I-130? :confused:

So when after I got her the K1 and we are married here in US, and then we filled the I-130 and wait for it? How long typically do my wife have to wait for the approval of I-130?

Please advise again. Many thanks everyone.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A few words of caution about DCF.........

Not all consulates accept DCF applications.

Among those that accept DCF applications, some consulates have residency requirements.

Even if your consulate accepts DCF and you meet residency requirements, there is a certain amount of probability that your application could get rejected and you be asked to start I-130 from inside US.

Why would anyone want to jump through the hurdles of DCF, when you could apply I-130 and sit back and watch Dan Rather show fake documents?

A Great Nation chooses a Great Leader. Bush 51%. Kerry 48%.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it. I'l definitely think about the pro and the con...

The Dude