TN1 Visa

LaraM

Hi,
We are Canadian, and my husband has a job offer from a U.S. company. What documents does he need to provide at the border to obtain a TN1 visa? I plan to live with him while he works there—what visa should I apply for, and what documents do I need? Will me accompanying him affect his chances of getting the TN1 visa?
Thanks for your advice.

A TN application needs to be supported by a TN letter from the employer along with the educational credentials i.e. degree certificate (that is related to his job). You will apply for the TD status WITH him - you need to have your marriage certificate that proves your relationship. And you both will need your Canadian passport when you apply at the border.

A TN application needs to be supported by a TN letter from the employer along with the educational credentials i.e. degree certificate (that is related to his job). You will apply for the TD status WITH him - you need to have your marriage certificate that proves your relationship. And you both will need your Canadian passport when you apply at the border.
Thank you!
What do you mean by “a TN letter”. The company just sent him a very lengthy job offer including all details like job description, salary, benefits, etc. Is that sufficient, or a TN letter is something different?

The lengthy letter that his company sent him is the offer letter which is different than the TN letter. TN letter is the one that describes your Job Title (which this could be different than the job title that the offer letter has - which is internal to the company) and the job duties. This TN title is the one that should be from the list of "TN job titles". Your education (the degree) must be aligned with those job duties described in the TN letter.

You use this TN letter to apply for TN (not the job offer letter). Your husband should make sure that the company HR (or their corporate attorney) knows about this TN letter.

The lengthy letter that his company sent him is the offer letter which is different than the TN letter. TN letter is the one that describes your Job Title (which this could be different than the job title that the offer letter has - which is internal to the company) and the job duties. This TN title is the one that should be from the list of "TN job titles". Your education (the degree) must be aligned with those job duties described in the TN letter.

You use this TN letter to apply for TN (not the job offer letter). Your husband should make sure that the company HR (or their corporate attorney) knows about this TN letter.
Thank you so much for your response.
My husband will request a TN offer letter. Do you think applying for my TD status at the same time as his TN1 could negatively affect his application? Could the officer mistakenly think we want to stay in the US permanently?
We have no intention of staying permanently; we have properties, children, and family in Canada.

Do you think applying for my TD status at the same time as his TN1 could negatively affect his application? Could the officer mistakenly think we want to stay in the US permanently?
Not at all. Applying for TD (for spouse and kids) at the time of TN application is very normal and will have no adverse effect on the TN application.

Not at all. Applying for TD (for spouse and kids) at the time of TN application is very normal and will have no adverse effect on the TN application.

Sincerely appreciate your responses , and wish you the best of success!
Truly appreciate your responses.
Wishing you the best!

Hello again,
We plan to take one of our vehicles with us, and import into the US, so will drive there passing Sweetgrass Coutts border crossing. We called the costume at that location and they asked for the VIN # and said all you need is filling out a few forms and provided us with the name of the forms and the proof of ownership.
Do you think it’s a good idea taking our car with us, or the officer would mistakenly consider it as us trying to move our properties to the US.
Sorry if my question may sound funny. I just don’t want us do anything that might have negative effects on obtaining TN visa.
Thanks in advance for your advice.