Tn-visa

lawriemc

Hi,

I am hoping you could be of some assitance. I am Canadian Citizenship and I have a job offer in the US. I will be going through the border to get my TN-VISA in the next few weeks. I have 2 children, 3yrs and 1yr old and my spouse. My question is do I have to go with all the family when getting my TN-Visa or can they apply after I have received mine.

All the family will be coming with me to the US but not until after a month of me starting the job.

Warm Regards
LN

As I understand you should go to US embassy, not the border. I would think you need to apply for your family together with your application. But I might be wrong. I bet US embassy would be more than helpful source of information to you.
Maybe some other canadians will answer to you with more details. My understanding of TN-Visa is pretty limited. It is just like H1-B but for canadians :), E3 for autralians :)

I don't believe one needs to go to the US Embassy to otain a TN-VISA. That much I know.......But just wondering how my spouse and kids obtain the TD? Do they need to apply at the border the same time that I get my TN or can it be gotten later.

Last edited by a moderator:
After your TN is approved, your dependants can go to the POE / PFI anytime with a copy of your TN, and proof that they are related to you (ie marriage certificate for spouse, and birth certificate for child). My wife got her TD this way.

Hello! You can apply for their TN visa right at the border. I did the same thing with my family when I applied for my TN VISA for RN. I am not sure if it changed lately. Ruth