TN visa while in america

fourfourfour

Registered Users (C)
Hello, I have a few questions,

I came to the US to visit friends, at the border crossing an E1 visa was added to my passport, allowing me to be in the country until December 1st.

While in the US I was offered a position at an American firm, it is covered under TN list of professions and is related by my degree. It it temporary in nature.

My questions are:

1. Can I apply for the TN1 visa without leaving the US (at an INS office)
2. Does the E1 visa in my passport reduce my chances of being granted TN status?
3. If i return to Canada for a few days, having the E1 visa removed as I cross the border, can i then go back to the US and apply for the TN visa at the border? (does staying in Canada for 3 weeks versus 3 days have any real impact on my TN application?)

I hope these questions are clear, again any information will be appreciated. Thank you.

1. yes. you would do it via a mail-in petition of form I-129 to the Vermont Service Center. It is currently taking in excess of 3 months to process these petitions. You would not be able to work until the petition had been approved. You do have the option of paying an additional $1000 to elect Premium Processing (15 days)
2. No
3. Yes and this is the most cost effective and fastest way for you at this point.