TN Visa - What effect will a prev GC application have?

sweep picking

Hi Guys,

I recently became a Canadian Citizen and am looking at the TN option to get a job in USA.

I had prev worked in USA and applied for GC which was in final stages. For family reasons I had to abandon it.

If and when I get an offer from an american company and go for TN, will the officer consider my prev GC appllication as intent "to settle down in USa".

Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks
SP

They may decide that you've shown immigrant intent in the past, and deny your TN application. The longer the time frame from when you applied for the GC, and the time that you are applying for the TN, the better. You need to demonstrate your ties to Canada in the present, in order to downplay your immigrant intent in the past. What may help you is to show that you own a home and have other investments in Canada now. They will want you to give them your permanent address in Canada, but on top of that in your situation, you should show that you own a home, and have decided to stay in Canada. If they ask you if you plan to immigrate to the US or move there permanently, do not tell them "Yes".

I would recommend that you consult a lawyer who specializes in TN's to help you get your story straight before attempting the application at the border. I'm not saying its impossible, but it might be a little tricky in how you phrase things, and prove your immigration intent is not current. www.grasmick.com

Thanks George for the reply.

Yes my GC application (or the time I abandoned it) is about 4 years old.

In that time I was also refused entry once when trying to visit a friend.
(3 years ago).

I had been to USA a few times before that for company business (was empoyed in Canada by an American company).

I assume I would get a lawyer after I have an offer in Hand.
What kind of fees am I looking at?

Thanks
SP