TN Visa First Time

initiator

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I recently got a job offer from a US based company. They have been quite co-operative and are willing to give me an offer letter for TN as an Economist. I am hoping to get the documentation from them in next 4-5 days, however, as this will be my first time applying for a TN, I need more information on the processing. What forms are required to be filled out before going to the border? Do I really need my transcripts in addition to a copy of my degree? any other tips/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

thanks

I'm assuming you're from Canada.

You don't need to fill any forms beforehand. They do that at the border and when it's all done they give you an I-94 stamped as a TN.

Just go to the border, tell them you need to get a TN. They'll send you into the office and the officer there fills out everything. You need a letter from the company outlining the job title and description (which have to be listed in their booklet for qualifying TN jobs), the time line for the job, which can be no longer than a year, and your salary. You'll also need your degree. I don't think you need your transcripts, but I did bring mine with me and they did look it over. Some people suggest you bring evidence of ties to Canada (so that you aren't showing intent to stay) but I'm not sure how important this is because I don't believe many are asked for such evidence.

When I went it also cost $56 (that was last November), and I don't believe they take cheques or credit cards.

It's actually not too bad. I was rejected the first time I went because the job description wasn't worded correctly, but the second time, after getting the letter corrected by the company, it only took 20-minutes and I was across no problem, and I even went back to the same POE.

Thank you very much. Hopefully it is as easy as you're telling for me as well. Their lawyer is writing the letter, so I believe it would be drafted as per the requirements.

For me, and others I know at the company I work at, it was easy, but if you look on here and on the web there are some horror stories (not to scare you or anything :) ) It really all comes down to just having the proper paperwork and such. As well, answer the questions the officer asks you, be honest, and just stay cool. If you do it goes by smooth.

If they do reject you, though, don't fret (and don't freak out on them, because that'll only make it worse, as I learned from the one guy next to me also applying for a TN). They'll give you a reason for the rejection, then all you have to do is get the problem fixed and go back and try again.

Anyways, if you can, let us know how it goes.

comment

Just an addition or two to the above excellent replies.

Your employer letter could/should state there are no ongoing strikes ongoing (because this is in the TN status criteria)within the company offering employment.

You may or may not be photographed and fingerprinted (our last TN they were set up to do this, but told us not this time, but probably in the near future).

Some companies with limited number employees may have to provide financial proof they can sponsor you as an employee (not really your problem, but be aware of this).

Have birth certificate, and a marriage certificate if your spouse requires TD.

/\ It's a large bank, so I don't think they need to provide proof of financial ability to pay me. I specifically wanted to know about the requirement of academic transcripts at the border, as ordering the transcripts can take some time.

comment

We have always successfully used photocopies of Diploma's (and always had the originals nearby if we needed), one's resume proving work experience.

quick related question

cdnchris said:
, the time line for the job, which can be no longer than a year, and your salary.

How does it work if you are getting a job, but at the same time, you are saying you are only going to work for one year? I know you can renew your status every year, but that doesn't make sense if you are only set up to work one year. Seems like there would be a problem with the company which would be concerned about you only stating you were only planned on working there for one yea :confused:

The job offer you get from the company is not the same job offer you use for aquiring a TN. Chances are, you real job offer letter says that they are hiring you permanently. to obide by the requirements of obtaining a TN, the TN letter can only say that they are in need of your service for 1 year. Of course, since they offerd you a "permanent" position you can easily renew the TN every year, indefinitely. So in fact, it is pseudo permanent.

Think of it like a driver's liscence. Once you pass the test, you're entitled to drive, but unfortunately the card needs to be renewed every so often.

curiousGeorge said:
The job offer you get from the company is not the same job offer you use for aquiring a TN. Chances are, you real job offer letter says that they are hiring you permanently. to obide by the requirements of obtaining a TN, the TN letter can only say that they are in need of your service for 1 year. Of course, since they offerd you a "permanent" position you can easily renew the TN every year, indefinitely. So in fact, it is pseudo permanent.

Think of it like a driver's liscence. Once you pass the test, you're entitled to drive, but unfortunately the card needs to be renewed every so often.

I know you couldn't have put that any simpler and I thank you for that, but I am still confused (this is all new to me) :(

I guess it would help me if I put it in a real life situation:

She is coming to live here with me. She is going to work so she is going to need to get the TN. So when she is applying for the job, does she need to get a letter from the company she is applying for and the letter says she will be working for one year or a permant position.......I'm thinking that it's a letter stating something like, "We are hiring (so and so) for one year as a requirement to the TN." Then she just renews it every year until she becomes a citizen.

She applies for the TN right after she is hired, but before she can work I am guessing :confused:

Sorry for the confusion

aarwash said:
So when she is applying for the job, does she need to get a letter from the company she is applying for and the letter says she will be working for one year or a permant position.......I'm thinking that it's a letter stating something like, "We are hiring (so and so) for one year as a requirement to the TN."
After the company has made the decision that she is the right candidate for the postition, then they will need to provide a job offer letter for the purposes of obtaining TN status.
The letter must contain the following information:
1) The Job Title (must be from the TN list of professions)
2) A job description (preferrably plagerised from the ONET site matching the job title. Can be modified to suit, but this is what the CBP officer will use to determine if she qualifies for the position.)
3) A length of employment (cannot exceed 1 year)
4) A Start date (This can be an actual date in the future, or it can say, "as soon as possible, upon arrival", the officer would write the current date on the I-94. If the date is in the future, and it is WAY in the future (more than a few days), then the officer may deny the application, and ask her to return when the date is closer.)
5) Salary, specify either hourly, or yearly.
6) The person's name responsible for hiring her within the company
7) That person's original signature, not a digital printout of the signature.
8) All this must be on company letter head.
9) A good optional section can describe what the company does.

You take the letter, proof of Canadian citizenship, money for the fee, any related diplomas, your resume, and any reference letters from previous employers needed to prove any required experience (ie some TN professions may require proof of previous experience), and any applicable liscences required to perform your job (doctors for example) to either the land border, or the border at the airport. One requirement of being eligible for a TN is to have proof that one intends on proceeding directly to the US upon approval of TN status. If you're at the airport, then a plane ticket to a US destination satisfies this. If you're at a land crossing, then once at the US border building, you are in essence, already in the US, so you've satisifed that requirement implicitly.

aarwash said:
Then she just renews it every year until she becomes a citizen.
Not exactly. She renws it unitl she either files her I-485, or until she gets approved at her consular green card interview. To get citizenship, first she needs a green card, which takes about her about 4-6 years to get these days via employment, and about 1-2 years via marriage. Then to be eligible to apply to become a citizen, she has to have had the green card for at least 5 years if she took the employment route, or 3 years if she took the marriage route. After that the citizenship application could take another 1-2 years before she is sworn in. (6+5+2= approx. 13 years)
Although its probably just trivial info at this stage for you, for info on getting a green card via employment, read the second post on this thread:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=152852

aarwash said:
She applies for the TN right after she is hired, but before she can work I am guessing :confused:
Correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's perfect information and perfectly clear :D

Thank you so much and you are the one that will make things go very smoothly and for us to be together very soon which is what we want :eek: Thank you so much again!

Hello all,

I thinkt it's time that I share my story. I got the TN visa last wednesday. The paperwork I took to the POE included

1) My original University diploma
2) Original Letter from the employer stating the job title, duration of employment and my suitability for the role.
3) A letter from my University stating my major and year of graduation as my degree does not mention the major
4) Form G-28 from the lawyer

The lineup was long so it took me about two hours to get to the Immigration officer, but it took only 15 minutes afterwards. He asked me a couple of questions about my job category/description, and the reason that I looked for a job in US. He kept the employment letter and form G28, attached an I-94 with my passport, and asked me to pay $56 to the cashier. I paid the fee, got my stuff together and embarked on a new journey.

Help for first timer -TN

I will be applying for TN Visa from one of Ontario's border.
I have these questions, kindly help me :

1. Do I have to get my Degree and Diploma evaluated, if Yes , from where it will be faster and accepted by immigration?

2. which POE is relaxed and easy ?