• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

TN Status & AOS

bizza said:
curiousGeorge, Anahit and everybody else,

Thank you very much for the valuable information.

Thanks to your input I decided to go on the CP path.

A silly question :rolleyes: : Do I have to use the forms included in the package or can I use the online versions of DS122 & DS230?
I like the online version because I can type in and print them and it is much clearer than writing by hand. The only difference, I noticed, between the received form and the online form is that the received form have a water mark "2007" across the page.

Thanks again for everyone for the help and good luck.

Ben
You can use the downloaded forms.
If the fillable form is available on-line, I always prefer using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

I’ve got few more questions that just popped up in my head.

If I choose a different post, for the CP processing, than the country of origin, could that cause delays? I'd like to do my CP in Montreal.

Since my case number is high, AF27XXX, does it make a difference if I respond right now to KCC or after few months?

If I send the documents now and I apply to renew the TN status in mid October wouldn’t that raise questions later about my real intent? Especially during the final interview if I make it that far.

And my last question and I think curiosGeorge you did cover it a little bit; at the time I’ll be renewing my TN wouldn’t the information that I applied for CP show on the immigration agent computer?

Thanks again for you help

Ben

bizza said:
If I choose a different post, for the CP processing, than the country of origin, could that cause delays? I'd like to do my CP in Montreal.
My mother-in-law did her CP in Montreal. Her country of origin was not Canada. No issues.
bizza said:
Since my case number is high, AF27XXX, does it make a difference if I respond right now to KCC or after few months?
Everyone here will suggest that you send it as soon as possible. Unless you have avery good reason for not sending it now, then that is different. My mother-in-law had a very low number, and she would have had her interview in October, but I had to get my GC approved first so I could sign the I-134 for her. She was only able to send the papers back in December after I got my GC approved in late November. Her interview was not until June. Really, that is not a risk that I would recommend to anyone, unless they had a very good reason to delay. She could have missed the September deadline because of this, but it seemed as if she had no other choice. If you send it later, you will be behind even the people that are in your range of numbers, since those people will have passed the preliminary adminstrative stuff.
bizza said:
If I send the documents now and I apply to renew the TN status in mid October wouldn’t that raise questions later about my real intent? Especially during the final interview if I make it that far.
No. CP will not conflict with your TN renewal. Since you can't intend to immigrate until your DV visa is approved, there is no issue of intent here. You can't immigrate until the DV visa is approved, at which point you will cross the POE, using the DV visa given to you be the consulate, and the POE will order you a green card. If you were to aplpy for a TN AFTER your DV visa was apporved, but BEFORE you crossed the POE using your DV visa, then yes, you would have intent issues. But there is no good reason for you to do that, and therefor there are no issues.
In the case of AOS, your intent can be proven the day you put the I-485 application in the mailbox.

I don't know how else to explain this to you, but I am 100% sure it will not cause an issue for you if you take the CP route.
bizza said:
And my last question and I think curiosGeorge you did cover it a little bit; at the time I’ll be renewing my TN wouldn’t the information that I applied for CP show on the immigration agent computer?
It may be on the officer's computer. Assume that it is. The officer works for USCIS. The consulate works for the State Department. He may have to view a different screen to see that info, but assume that he has access. There is no reason to lie if asked, but don't offer the information up front.

Thank you curiosGeorge for the excellent information as usual.

Maybe I am thinking ahead of time :rolleyes: here but I know it is better to be in the know and to be prepared than to be surprised ;).

My first question is regarding the police certificates. In my case I will need 3 of those: US, Canada and my country of birth. Usually it takes time to process police certificates. I know in Canada it could take up to 3 months. Also most police certificates are only valid for a certain period of time (usually 6 months).
In your opinion when should I start applying for the police certificates to be ready by the time of the interview, but in the same time they will be still valid? Did the Montreal Consulate told you mother in law when she should start the process?

My second question is regarding the medical exam. Is it true that I'll be informed when to start the process when I receive the second package which is basically announcing the date of the interview?

BTW, I had the chance to read your experience with your green card process. It is quite a learning experience and nerve-racking.

Thanks again for you help

Ben

My lawyer told me she should get the full RCMP criminal record check. When she went to visit the RCMP, they ordered it for her in July, and also gave her a quick name check result.

The full RCMP report came in December. She took both of them to the interview. Her interview was in June and they accepted it.

I've read here that people have taken the name check and that the Montreal consualte accepts it.

If you have time, get both. If the full report does not arrive in time, don't sweat it, as long as you have the name check results.

Most doctors won't do a medical exam for you until you get your interview date. They ned part of that last packet for thier paperwork in the medical exam.

My experience was really long and often stressful. As you already know, I went through the employment based category. As a person in TN status, you are lucky to get to possibly skip all of the years I had to endure, and jump to the results much quicker via the DV category.

Hi curiousGeorge,
Thanks again for your help.

Would the TN status be canceled at the time of the interview or would it stay valid until its expiration date?

Ben

curiousGeorge said:
It would stay valid until you re-enter the US using your DV visa.

My sincere thanks curiosGeorge,
That is a very reassuring piece of information.

Now I can move on to the next phase more knowledgeable about the process thanks to the information given by very helpful people on this list. Special thanks to curiosGeorge, Anhit and Cateyes.

I appreciate the Help and information I received.

Hopefully, soon, I'll share with you my full experience.

Good luck for the rest.

Ben