TN Status and WA DL

voyager6868

Registered Users (C)
Moving to WA on a TN. Curious if anyone has got a DL there under TN status? I looked at the requirements, and seems like you can get one, even without an I-94 in your passport. I'm curious if

a) They put a 1-year limit on your DL (if so, I'll rip out the I-94 and hopefully they won't put a limit? or would they still do so.. and maybe just 6 months instead of a year :()
b) You had to do a full written + driving test? (From what I've read you do... Funny how German DL holders don't, but Canadians do...)
c) They took away your CDN DL?

a) Mine doesn't have a limit of 1 year but I didn't bring my passport if I remember.
b) Yes, I did all the test for the car in one day because it wasn't really busy that Saturday. And I took the class for the motorcycle.
c) No because they didn't exchange it than they are supposed to let it to you. You can cancel it by yourself if you want in Canada.

Where you will be in WA?

I've been here so long I don't think the WA DOL even knows I'm on a TN :)
That said, I know of others who only had to show basic proof of residency in WA state; utility/phone/cable bill, proof of either mortgage or a rental agreement and they were golden.
If I showed my TN back in 1999 then they've never had any updates to my status since then and I would have expected them to ask 5 years ago when I renewed in person. This month I just renewed my licence again, online no less, for another 5 years no questions about citizenship whatsoever....
Eastside huh? I hope your living less than 10 blocks from work!!!

Yes, I've heard the 405 is a parking lot. I'm looking for places near the where the MS Connector bus stops, maybe north Woodinville.

On that note, how hard did both of you find getting rental places when you first moved to the area? I noticed most rental applications online seem to be wanting to check credit history based on your SSN, etc. Not sure if this is just so they have a legitimate excuse to deny you if you look like a shady character, or if they're really strict about being able to get this information.

Yes, I've heard the 405 is a parking lot. I'm looking for places near the where the MS Connector bus stops, maybe north Woodinville.

On that note, how hard did both of you find getting rental places when you first moved to the area? I noticed most rental applications online seem to be wanting to check credit history based on your SSN, etc. Not sure if this is just so they have a legitimate excuse to deny you if you look like a shady character, or if they're really strict about being able to get this information.

I paid 3 months up front but was also lucky enough that my contract company provided me with a letter confirming work for a minimum of 3 months so the apt. managers took that on face value until my Canadian credit check arrived about 2 weeks after I had moved in. That worked for the apartment it DID NOT work for cable, phone and utilities I had to fork over deposits for all 3 :mad:
If you're looking to hook up with MS Connect bus service then you're coming down as an MS FTE? If so, would MS write you a 3 line letter stating you're employed and a real person? :)
I've never rented an apt. or house in either Canada or the US without going through a credit check. They want to know if you're a risk or not so they don't rent to deadbeats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Florida DL

I've been here so long I don't think the WA DOL even knows I'm on a TN :)
That said, I know of others who only had to show basic proof of residency in WA state; utility/phone/cable bill, proof of either mortgage or a rental agreement and they were golden.
If I showed my TN back in 1999 then they've never had any updates to my status since then and I would have expected them to ask 5 years ago when I renewed in person. This month I just renewed my licence again, online no less, for another 5 years no questions about citizenship whatsoever....
Eastside huh? I hope your living less than 10 blocks from work!!!

You are sooo lucky over there.... here in Florida they nailed me with a one year DL tied to the date of the TN...yeah...lots of fun...oh well!!:eek:

For my appartment, they called at my job to know if I was really working there and check my infos...for the bank account my company have to call the bank to told them that I needed to open one...an other one was to get a cellphone (no credit=no phone)... And now, I'm not able to have a US credit card...

WebTiger: How you make your Canadien credit be available in the US?

If you're looking to hook up with MS Connect bus service then you're coming down as an MS FTE? If so, would MS write you a 3 line letter stating you're employed and a real person? :)

Yup, I'll be a FTE. I'm guessing they'd have no problem writing the letter. I could probably even use the letter they write for my TN application?

Do you mind providing your bank & mortgage companies in case I have some trouble convincing mine to look up my Cdn credit info?

Yup, I'll be a FTE. I'm guessing they'd have no problem writing the letter. I could probably even use the letter they write for my TN application?

Do you mind providing your bank & mortgage companies in case I have some trouble convincing mine to look up my Cdn credit info?

You'll need to copy the TN letter whatever officer ajudicates your case will take it from you.
As for the other info:
Bank of America - Bel-Red Rd branch
National City Mortgage - Federal Way office - Josh Westmark Branch Manager