timeline for submitting Indian passport

Naila26

Registered Users (C)
I was recently naturalized as a US citizen. Is there any urgency to apply for US passport or cancel your Indian passport if you do not have to travel? Do you you have to cancel your Indian passport first or apply for your US passport first?

I was recently naturalized as a US citizen. Is there any urgency to apply for US passport or cancel your Indian passport if you do not have to travel? Do you you have to cancel your Indian passport first or apply for your US passport first?

Other than for travel there is no urgency to apply for the US passport but experiencing this year's delays you might want to consider doing this at your earliest. Also there is no order to cancel the Indian passport as this will be checked when you apply for OCI. But Indian law states that once you take naturalization at another country you are supposed to cancel the Indian passport right away and they do not charge any fee to do that. Or you can do it at a passport camp

As long as you never use it for travel it should be fine. But if you ever apply for OCI you will have to get it cancelled at that time. You could just cancel it by mail and save some time.
The urgency for US pport is that it is taking some time to get them issued. Plus people like to apply for PIO/oci for future travels, and these can take 4-8 weeks.

I thought India started allowing dual Citizenship in year 2004. Why do you still have to cancel your passport?