N-400 received by VSC - 7/14/03
Receipt arrived - 7/28/03
Fingerprint notice received - 8/16/03
Figerprints done - 8/23/03
Interview notice received - 2/21/04
Interview scheduled in Pgh - 3/25/04
Oath letter recd - 4/7/04
Oath date - 4/21/04

If you have any questions on the interview experience, etc, I will be happy to share. One of the things we were asked at the interview was if we wanted a quick short ceremony at the INS office or a long ceremony at the courhouse, to which I replied first available.

This is something new I was not aware of..

Also can someone help in answering following:

Does the original Certificate of Citizenship have to be submitted with US passprt application?

Can you get a duplicate copy of this at the oath ceremony or any other way later?

I know the law says that you required to surrender your earlier passport to the embassy of your country but if you don't what are the implications?. I will be doing this anyway but I have seen people talking about keeping their old passport with them and not bothering to surrender it.

Also I wish all those of you who are waiting the best of luck and god speed.

Yes, you have to submit the original Nat. cert. with the passport application. Make some copies before you turn your application in.
As far as duplicate is concerned, I am sure you have to fill some sort of form out and pay fee for it.
CD

The following info is from my friends who went through the process
Does the original Certificate of Citizenship have to be submitted with US passprt application?
You have to send the original certificate for US passport. It will be returned to you along with the passport. My friend also told me that making photo copies of the certificate is not legal :)

Can you get a duplicate copy of this at the oath ceremony or any other way later?
It the certificate is lost INS will give a duplicate after taking their fee and making you wait for the normal period (an year or so)

I know the law says that you required to surrender your earlier passport to the embassy of your country but if you don't what are the implications?. I will be doing this anyway but I have seen people talking about keeping their old passport with them and not bothering to surrender it.
Surrendering the passport is needed. I was told that the passport is canceled and returned back to you so that you can keep it

Congrats

Can you please post how your interview went, i.e questions on Your N400 form , documents submitted , citations or Traffic Tickets e.t.c

Thanks

interview details

waitingvsc:

Interview was at 9.00 am and it was exactly on time. The new Pittsburgh INS office is excellent with free parking. It lasted around 15 minutes.

The only documents I had to show was GC, License and Passport. The officer first swore me in and went over the N400 application. She again asked some of the Yes/No questions from the form, specifically about willingness to bear arms, not being a menber of a communist party, marriage details and any arrests, etc. I was asked if I had any tickets to which without any comments I simply presented my 10 yr driving record which showed no violations . For PA this is available from their website as an Adobe File for a fee of $5.00.

I had taken my marriage cert, birth cert, 5 year tax returns, 2 extra photos, utility bill, all my previous F1 and H1 notices, etc but did not need them. Then I had to sign the 2 photographs. I had taken a fine point permanent marker for this and it is good to sign over glossy photos without smudging, I would recommend this.

At the end , I was given a form saying my application is approved and I was asked if I wanted to attend a big ceromony or wanted to attend the short one.

I chose first available and got my Oath letter in 10 days. The oath is at the same INS office in 2 weeks.

Hope this helps...

Kashinath , sorry for the delay , you know how fast messages move in the forum , I just saw your reply . congratulations and wish you good luck. :)