Timeframe for EAD and GC under EB1/EA

EB1_Slamdunk

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks, if I apply for EB-1 (Extra-ordinary Abilities) say on July 1, 06 and assuming the case goes smooth with no further request for explanation, by when can I expect to get the (1) EAD and (2) Green Card, given the current processing times etc.? I know one can't predict an exact date/month but I'm looking for a ballpark, in general.

Your help is appreciated, as always.

EB1_Slamdunk

EB1_Slamdunk said:
Hi folks, if I apply for EB-1 (Extra-ordinary Abilities) say on July 1, 06 and assuming the case goes smooth with no further request for explanation, by when can I expect to get the (1) EAD and (2) Green Card, given the current processing times etc.? I know one can't predict an exact date/month but I'm looking for a ballpark, in general.

Your help is appreciated, as always.

EB1_Slamdunk

once u file concurrent EAD along with I-140 & I-485 you will get EAD in 30-90 days. You will get ur green card some time..................wait a second....no one can answer that...................r u from retrogressed or non retro country......if from non retro good chance with a year!

I'm from India so retro.

EB1_Slamdunk

eb1doc said:
once u file concurrent EAD along with I-140 & I-485 you will get EAD in 30-90 days. You will get ur green card some time..................wait a second....no one can answer that...................r u from retrogressed or non retro country......if from non retro good chance with a year!

EB1_Slamdunk said:
I'm from India so retro.

EB1_Slamdunk
then at this point you cannot file concurrently...june will be the month where people with PD jan 2006 can file ....hope fully it will get current for july then you can file...now another issue for GC is nam echeck whioch is taking 0.6-1.2 year for india....(range wise) ur GC will depend a lot on that!

I am from non-retro country. I am holding H1B visa now. My wife is not working in US and since she doesn't have working permit (she holds H4 visa). If I file I-140 (EB1-OR categorY) & I-485 concurrently and also apply for the EAD at the same time

1. Does she needs to be pysically present in the US during my filing? If yes, how long she needs to be here?

2. Since EAD takes 30-90 days to be approved, can she leaves US during this period and come into US again after approval?

3. Does she needs to get Advanced Parole to go out of US or she can use her H4 visa?

Thanks!

your wife can leave/enter the US on her valid H-4 regardless if the EAD/AP is being processed or regardless of it is approved. However once the EAD/AP is approved AND your wife uses it to enter or obtain employment, then from that point on she must always use it.

I remember reading a while back that if you were to travel out of country while 1-485 pending, you must use AP. Otherwise, USCIS will assume that you intent to abandon your I-485 and your petition will be denied. I have not verified the accuracy of this statement. Do a search and check with an attorney.

This is what immigration officer told us during infopass appointment prior to our international trip!

1. Does she needs to be pysically present in the US during my filing? If yes, how long she needs to be here?

YES ! unless she is present her I-94 is not subjected to adjustment of status...you may go ahead and file but shd expect RFE about I-94.

2. Since EAD takes 30-90 days to be approved, can she leaves US during this period and come into US again after approval?

Well..........if your are filling then apply fro AP get that and then travel.

3. Does she needs to get Advanced Parole to go out of US or she can use her H4 visa?

Already answered perfered is AP.

gunt said:
your wife can leave/enter the US on her valid H-4 regardless if the EAD/AP is being processed or regardless of it is approved. However once the EAD/AP is approved AND your wife uses it to enter or obtain employment, then from that point on she must always use it.

it has been discussed earlier !! but i disagree always! once I-485 is filed use AP to travel ! I asked this to atleast 2-3 lawyers along with few immigration offices...somehow answer is consistently same!

eb1doc said:

YES ! unless she is present her I-94 is not subjected to adjustment of status...you may go ahead and file but shd expect RFE about I-94.

So, let say I file in 30 June 2006, she comes into US say 28 June. Would this cause suspicious/problem/delay in approving my case? Or as long as she has a I-94, the date of entry does not matter?

Since she holds a job out of US, unless she quit the job, I think is not easy to get 30-90 days of vacations! How long to get approval for AP typically?

YES ! unless she is present her I-94 is not subjected to adjustment of status...you may go ahead and file but shd expect RFE about I-94.[/I]

So, let say I file in 30 June 2006, she comes into US say 28 June. Would this cause suspicious/problem/delay in approving my case? Or as long as she has a I-94, the date of entry does not matter?

thats true !! dates won;t matter! these dates can be owing to short vacation!

Since she holds a job out of US, unless she quit the job, I think is not easy to get 30-90 days of vacations! How long to get approval for AP typically

you get AP in 30-60 days but i remember reading somewhere using AP u cannot go out fro more that 6 months........i am not sure. remember on AP you have to mention potential trips expected......

you get AP in 30-60 days but i remember reading somewhere using AP u cannot go out fro more that 6 months........i am not sure. remember on AP you have to mention potential trips expected......[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, she comes to US for business trip every 2-4 months (for 1 week). So, I guess if this is the case, she still can use the AP. But stay for only 1 week eveyrtime would cause any problems? Well, my main concern is still the up to 60 days to get the AP.. :(

I beleive Eb1doc gave you all facts ....how you use it responsibly is ur job ...my suggestion is talk to ur attorney on this kinda of situation!

ixora98,
Depending on the work load, the approval of AP may take slightly longer than 60 days. You can expect to receive approval (if there is no issue) at any time between 3 weeks to months. eb1doc had given you all the facts.. and it is up to you to decide on your plans.
I-485 is intended for people who wants to adjust their status while residing in the US (as this is their current primary residence). You can always opt for consular processing if your wife have to travel a lot. She can always retain H4 status to travel to US. For consular processing, you have to make an appointment and appear for an interview at your home country after I-140 approval. Read the thread on consular processing.

Travel on AP while I-485 pending - but I-140 pending as well.

I had a situation like this 6 months ago. I consulted a lawyer and read a lot of stuff on this subject before traveling overseas while my I-140 and I-485 were pending. The lawyer told me that the use of AP vs H1 has and is always been a gray area. Even though I had my AP in hand, the lawyer recommended that I go get a H1 visa at the consulate and enter US with that if possible. So far so good. If I am in trouble I'll post it. But I bet loads of people did this. I am sure that the USCIS rep who mentioned that follows is a maverick. I had a interesting chat with a USCIS rep that freaked me out (http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1289857#post1289857). I consulted a lawyer after that and did things as mentioned above.
2006gc said:
I remember reading a while back that if you were to travel out of country while 1-485 pending, you must use AP. Otherwise, USCIS will assume that you intent to abandon your I-485 and your petition will be denied. I have not verified the accuracy of this statement. Do a search and check with an attorney.

Use AP to travel outside US while I-485 is pending

niwnow,
I found this out (posted on the USCIS website which I guess is a reliable source) when I googled:
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/Emergency/index.htm#Advanced
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/Emergency/index.htm#Overview
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#travel

Rule 1: Advance Parole
Most aliens who have pending applications for immigration benefits or for changes in nonimmigrant status need Advance Parole to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad. Aliens applying for advance parole on the basis of a pending application for adjustment of status must be approved for advance parole prior to leaving the United States in order to avoid the termination of their pending application for adjustment. Note: this does not apply to aliens who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who maintain H-1B (Specialty Worker) or L-1 (Intracompany Transferee) status, or their dependents, who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have valid H-1B or L status and valid visas, V nonimmigrants who have a valid V nonimmigrant visa, are in valid V nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid V nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US, and K-3/4 nonimmigrants who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa, are in valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US.
Aliens in the United States should, prior to departure, obtain Advance Parole in order to re-enter the United States after travel abroad if they have:

Filed an application for adjustment of status but have not received a decision from the USCIS;
Hold refugee or asylee status and intend to depart temporarily to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa in Canada; and/or
An emergent personal or bona fide reason to travel temporarily abroad. Applicants who are the beneficiary of a Private bill and Applicants who are under deportation proceedings must file to the Department of Homeland Security, 425 I Street, NW, ATTN: Parole and Humanitarian Assistance Branch, Washington, DC 20536

Rule 2: I-551 document for Legal Permanent Residents
Before leaving the U.S. on an emergency, aliens should determine if they require a travel document to re-enter the country. There are several types of travel documents that aliens (including legal permanent residents) must obtain if they wish to re-enter the country after travel outside of the U.S. The following sections examine re-entry permits, advance parole, and refugee travel documents. To apply for any of these benefits, use Form I-131. A summary is provided below. For further information on the purpose of these documents and eligibility requirements, please refer to 8CFR.223.1.

Caution:
Due to recent changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status, extending their nonimmigrant stay, or changing their nonimmigrant status. Upon return, these aliens may be found inadmissible, their applications may be denied, or both. It is important that the alien obtain the proper documentation before leaving the U.S.

International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

So it is very clear that I-131 (advance parole) is highly recommended if your I-485 is pending. Consider teh following scenario:
Suppose you travel outside US using your H1B while your I-485 is pending and your I-485 is approved while you are abroad. Now you are going to face a problem when you enter the US without I-551 document. If you re-enter US using your H1B, USCIS may deem that you have abandoned your legal permanent resident status as you declare yourself as a "nonimmigrant" to enter this country, and your green card may be revoked. So trying to save less than $200 on processing fee for advance parole can cost you your green card if you are not careful. It is up to you to decide what is best for you if you anticipate international travel while your I-485 is pending.

niwnow,
The scenario that I have described in in my previous post also applicable for concurrent filing cases where both I-140 and I-485 are pending. For example, I got both my I-140 and I-485 approved on the same day.

Hi!

It seems to me that leaving and re-enter US always have some risk when I-485 is in pending. I am wondering, if both my wife and myself file concurrently (we are from non-retro countries) and she leaves US with AP and re-enter every 2 months. Let say, if her adjustment of status being denied (due to some reasons), would that cause my case also being denied eventhough I didn't leave the US? I am just curious...

:rolleyes:

ixora78,
If you have an AP, then there is very little or no risk at all even if I-485 is denied. If I-485 is denied, your spouse can still enter this country using H-4 visa. Only when she uses her EAD, her H-4 gets invalidated and you need to reapply for her nonimmigrant status (I-539) if her I-485 is denied. She will still maintain her H-4 status if she uses the AP (I-131 document) alone.
Check with an attorney if the above statements are true.
Your GC will not be affected even if her I-485 is denied. But your I-485 denial may have an impact on her case as she is deriving her benefits as your dependent.