Time limit between CP & POE?

sudden

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

What is the maximum allowable time between CP interview and POE? I've heard varying numbers from 2 months to 6 months - any ideas? I also had another question regarding wife and kid travelling after myself (primary application) doing POE first, alone. When I asked this question to the consulate via email, I got the following response:

<<The principal applicant may travel first. The others can travel later before
their visas expire but the children should be below 21 to travel.>>

This is kind of lame, because I don't know where a "visa" figures, once the GC has been approved. For instance, I don't have a valid H1 visa nor does my wife have a valid H4 visa. Any thoughts on this? (I asked this follow up question to the consulate, but never got a response).

Thanks,

-Sudden

visa..

At the consulate what you get is an immigrant visa. So "GC approved" is really not correct in that sense. Its immigrant visa approved.

As far as I know if the envelope says on top that the individual can follow you are ok coming later. If it says accompanying, you know what that means.

Originally posted by sudden
Hi,

What is the maximum allowable time between CP interview and POE? I've heard varying numbers from 2 months to 6 months - any ideas?

6 months.

I also had another question regarding wife and kid travelling after myself (primary application) doing POE first, alone. When I asked this question to the consulate via email, I got the following response:

<<The principal applicant may travel first. The others can travel later before
their visas expire but the children should be below 21 to travel.>>

This is kind of lame, because I don't know where a "visa" figures, once the GC has been approved. For instance, I don't have a valid H1 visa nor does my wife have a valid H4 visa. Any thoughts on this? (I asked this follow up question to the consulate, but never got a response).

An individual only gets a immigrant visa to enter US. LPR (Lawful Premanent Resident], also known as GC, is granted on entry to US. If an individual and accompaning family members don't arrive in US with in 6 months from the date of issue of the immigrant visa than the visa also expires and GC approval also loses its validtity.

Thanks,

-Sudden

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you folks. I guess the answer to my question is "6 months" and "yes, dependants can travel separately from primary applicant". I did not realize the subtle difference in terminology between "immigrant visa" and "LPR". Thanks for the clarification.

-Sudden