Time for physical card ssn after entering USA and SSN issue

GoPats

Registered Users (C)
My parents arrive in USA via greencard petition I filed. Two questions
1) How long after entering US does it take to get the welcome letter and physical card. Is there a way to track the status online?
2) I went to SSA office to apply for SS Card 2 weeks after. The officer said they immigration was unable to provide instant verification and they need to send a request. They will try electronically first and if immigration does not respond they will mail it in. It can take upto 4 weeks for SSN. Is this normal?

TIA

1) normally 2-4 weeks

2) If they requested the SSN by answering YES to question 43b of the DS-230 form that was submitted to the consulate, the SS card should be automatically issued and delivered in about a month after they entered the US with an immigrant visa, and they should not visit the SS office to apply for it.

But if they didn't request it, applying for it at an SS office would be necessary, and waiting 4 weeks is normal for a first-time SSN.

1) normally 2-4 weeks

2) If they requested the SSN by answering YES to question 43b of the DS-230 form that was submitted to the consulate, the SS card should be automatically issued and delivered in about a month after they entered the US with an immigrant visa, and they should not visit the SS office to apply for it.

But if they didn't request it, applying for it at an SS office would be necessary, and waiting 4 weeks is normal for a first-time SSN.

1) This is the fourth week, no sign of welcome letter or green card. Is there a way to track it?

2) I had answered YES, however at SSA I was told that when they enter the application they check with immigration at the time of submitting the form using A number. For my friends parents that worked and they were told that their SSN will be processed in few days. For me I was told that lookup did not return anything and they needed to verify manually. I am trying to findout if that happens sometimes or there is some problem.