Thinking about switching job after got GC? - Read This

madu

Registered Users (C)
I saw this at shusterman.com. When can we safely switch jobs?

http://immigration.about.com/library/weekly/aa070300b.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question #10: Is the move from LPR to citizen fairly straight forward? That is, assuming you are not a criminal and have satisfied the residency requirements etc..., is it all but a formality?

Carl Shusterman: My first job as an attorney with the Immigration Service in the late 1970's was interviewing applicants for naturalization. I can assure you that the process is not merely a formality. For example, if someone immigrated through employment, INS may demand proof that the person continued to work for the employer after receiving permanent residence. Failure to supply such proof may result in INS instituting removal or deportation proceedings against the individual. During the last few years, since the passage of the 1996 immigration law, the process of becoming naturalized has gotten much more difficult. A grandmother in Texas was almost deported to Mexico after living in the United States for over fifty years because she had voted in an election.

Similarly, if INS discovers that you have ever claimed to be a US citizen, to obtain a job or for any other reason, this could not only result in denial of your application for naturalization, but could lead to your deportation.

I am defending a number of individuals from deportation based on information that they either listed, or failed to list, on their application for naturalization because they believed the process was "only a formality."

Totally damn nonsense. This lawyers want to make more money from you and thus make you scared. Just imagine that there are millions of EB based gc, if this is true, this problem will be a truly outstanding one. But as far as I know, i have never personally heard about any real cases like this.

Forget about thoese cheating lawyers. they are not smarter than you.

Rember, Bill clinton was BEGGING that gc holdes to be citizen. In one of his speeches, he said "if time is due, one should proceed to citizenship."...

Haa. from gc approval, life is in our own hand. do not worry too much friends.

Originally posted by madu
I saw this at shusterman.com. When can we safely switch jobs?

http://immigration.about.com/library/weekly/aa070300b.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question #10: Is the move from LPR to citizen fairly straight forward? That is, assuming you are not a criminal and have satisfied the residency requirements etc..., is it all but a formality?

Carl Shusterman: My first job as an attorney with the Immigration Service in the late 1970's was interviewing applicants for naturalization. I can assure you that the process is not merely a formality. For example, if someone immigrated through employment, INS may demand proof that the person continued to work for the employer after receiving permanent residence. Failure to supply such proof may result in INS instituting removal or deportation proceedings against the individual. During the last few years, since the passage of the 1996 immigration law, the process of becoming naturalized has gotten much more difficult. A grandmother in Texas was almost deported to Mexico after living in the United States for over fifty years because she had voted in an election.

Similarly, if INS discovers that you have ever claimed to be a US citizen, to obtain a job or for any other reason, this could not only result in denial of your application for naturalization, but could lead to your deportation.

I am defending a number of individuals from deportation based on information that they either listed, or failed to list, on their application for naturalization because they believed the process was "only a formality."

Last edited by a moderator:
Madu, the link you posted is ....

a transcript of chat with Shusterman on June 5, 2000.

This is before the new AC21 law was passed on October 2000.

Jim Mills / Jaxen, please share your valuable comments on this very important issue.