The cost of hiring an Attorney

NC001

Registered Users (C)
I was laid off by my previous employer. I hired my ex-attorney when I got an RFE from INS. Now my case has been approved.
The only thing what the Lawyer done was filing the responses for RFE.
Now the lawyer sent a large amount bill to me. I'm not going to pay this amount.
Any idea how much cost is a fair amount for case like mine?

Thanks!

i guess there is no fair or not here, each one has their own "price list" and you hire the attorny if you accept the rate. Your case is unfortunate cause their is no point changing attornies, and he will charge you his high rate... i would say just absorb it and move on, u got approved:).
It is not unusual for high profile attornies, who happen to be corporate attornies to charge 400/hr... some even charge $200 for just responding to emails. i dont think u have much leverage here..

When you hired your ex-attorney, you should have signed some 'contract'. If there was a rate and it is higher from what they ask, then you can disagree. Otherwise, you have to pay what you signed for...

too_long said:
i guess there is no fair or not here, each one has their own "price list" and you hire the attorny if you accept the rate. Your case is unfortunate cause their is no point changing attornies, and he will charge you his high rate... i would say just absorb it and move on, u got approved:).
It is not unusual for high profile attornies, who happen to be corporate attornies to charge 400/hr... some even charge $200 for just responding to emails. i dont think u have much leverage here..

Too_long is right. Some lawyers charge a flat rate for the whole thing (like mine did) no matter how mant meetings, phone calls, emails, or faxes to drown him with. Others charge crazy per hour amounts. If you signed the contract with him, then you're legally bound to pay the money.

NC001 , i agree with the others that you will need to pay. the 1st of all, it is binding contractual obligation if you have had a contract. Even you did not have a written or an express contract, it could have been a case of "so-called" implied liability under the contract law. What i meant that in some cases, you do not need to have an express contract to be liable to the party who performed the services for you.

By hiring him and asking him to represent you, you did , in fact, create a contractual relationship. And he/she has been very successful in representing you , which is a critical factor in this case.

Now if you did not ask for a rate ( in a written manner) when you hired the attorney, it will be hard to challenge his/her charges. As a practical matter you may contact him and ask for an explanation and try benchmark the charges to the market, may be, he/she can give you a discount.

Of course, you have a right to file a compliant about him/her to the state bar association and all other professional organizations (AILA, etc) where he/she is a member. But I would suggest not to do that. Here is why:

You are dealing with USCIS, therefore you never know what comes next, even though you are approved. So I were you, I would not get to a legal dispute with the lawyer who won my case.

My Dream USA.
---------------
EB1 (Muti-national Mgr-L1A)/ TSC
I-140: RD 09/03/03 AD: 11/16/04
I-485: RD 11/18/03
RFEs on both I-485s: 11/16/04 ACKD: 12/07/04
FP done: 12/26/03 /FP received: 01/06/04

Why dont you try negotiating with him. You have some knowledge here and take all the informative tools to him telling him these are the fees per case or this is per hour fees and this is the amount you have spent so logically this should be your fees. May be it will work. Show him reason. Also tell him since you have help me won my case I might be sending you referals and that might work too but Keep on being persistent with your attorney and see if he budges.

Mine was a flat rate for everything, and in the contract it said that it would cover everything (RFEs included), except if the lawyer had to accompany me to an interview, that would not be covered.

At the time of u hired what amount u agreed to pay?

What amount he is asking now?

Did u signed? accepting Charges & Terms he wrote? ur story is incomplete..........????????

He can't ask more than standard charge than he charge to other ppl in similar case.........or unless ur complex case, and u agreed to pay.. ur story is incomplete... and u also can not judge just base on that he just only file RFE...............

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I made the mistakes
I talked to the lawyer on the phone, the lawyer metioned $1500 Dollars. I was thinking it will be $1500 for total, but he said $1500 is a retainer.

They did not sent me the agreement letter before they start working on case. We got the agreement letter after our GC approval.
I was stupid that I signed the letter without reading it carefully since I thoght I have already talked the fee with the Lawyer on the phone and my case has been approved. (You know, I'm too happy)

I got the $4500 bill now.

I guess I do not have much leverage here. But I think the Lawyer made too much on my case. It is real simple that they just filed RFE.
They said they spent an enormous amount of time on my cases. Who know how much time they spend? everthing is up on them

NC001 said:
We got the agreement letter after our GC approval.

Does the agreement letter state that they charge hourly, per meeting, per letter, per application, per email, per phone conversation, or is it a flat rate to complete the case and file an RFE?

Charge hourly on agreement letter.

You know, my previous employer has already paid the cost of my application.
I got RFE on I485; I think filing RFE will be the last thing to get my I485 approval. In fact, it is last thing.

I ‘m surprised the Lawyer charged that much for just filing a RFE. There are no rules if they charge hourly. How much time they spent is only came out from their big mouth not heart.
I will be very carefully if I need a Lawyer next time.

curiousGeorge said:
Does the agreement letter state that they charge hourly, per meeting, per letter, per application, per email, per phone conversation, or is it a flat rate to complete the case and file an RFE?

Nc001

Most GC case is around 6k. But, just like others said, lawyer changes differently. Our company lawyer charge $125 per phone call. I am not going to judge if it is too high or how rediculous could be.

I just want to wish you all the happiness. Don't let the bill ruin your happines away. Go celebrate with family, friends. Pay that bill and let life move on. Something money can't buy......

You are right.
Thank you!

GAROL said:
Most GC case is around 6k. But, just like others said, lawyer changes differently. Our company lawyer charge $125 per phone call. I am not going to judge if it is too high or how rediculous could be.

I just want to wish you all the happiness. Don't let the bill ruin your happines away. Go celebrate with family, friends. Pay that bill and let life move on. Something money can't buy......