• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The CN numbering system : How it works.

darkhorse

This is my take on the CN numbering system. Now just remember that I am very new (and only 18) to this and what I say are my own personal deductions, which of course could be way off from the truth, but anyways here it goes.

Now when we look at the numbering system, how they assign case numbers, 2009 is really different from all the preceding years. Let’s look at Asia for example, for 2008 and 2009 the number of NL’s sent out were constant at about 14k. Now the crucial difference is that the highest CN reported was ~ 18k for 08(we can also doubt this figure since this from what I’ve read on the internet) and for 2009, it was ~ 42k (I saw this with my very own eyes).

So now we search for some explanations. For 2008, the numbers were separate for different regions. Now I know when you add these numbers up, they exceed 100k
But only because there were gaps within regional numbers- This might explain for example why the highest CN in Asia was 18k (14 k CN’s with some gaps in between).
This is the only deduction that I could come up with (Suggestions are of course, always welcome – No matter how harsh). The same applies for EU and AF too.

Now in 09, the number of CN’s for Asia remains the same but somehow strangely enough the CN’s have seen an upward shift.

There could only be 2 explanations for this. Either that the gaps have increased – meaning that the 14k CN’s for AS have many gaps between them. Or, we can come to another conclusion – that the KCC folks somehow mixed the numbers up for all regions without gaps. (Someone named payam_pyz had suggested this earlier).

Now we can all put our heads together to beat the system. Every one please put in your suggestions, so that we can come to some kind of consensus. The Irish guy’s comments would especially be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most about CNs are speculations, most about KCC is speculation. Nobody exactly knows how things are working. You can ask 1000 ppl and hear 998 different opinions about all that stuff ;)

But you see the thing is that it is really is different this time around and just tell us which one of the 998 beliefs you hold.

I don't think it's important to try to figure out how CN are generated.If i have any spare time , i will rather try to figure out the factors that influence consulars to make decisions on visa applications.You can apply all the mathematical formulae in the world to find out how CN are generated but a consular officer can terminate your dream in 5 minutes if you don't prepare well for your interview etc.Good luck with your CALCULATIONS.

Hows this for numbering? I remember once hearing that Uncle Sam uses the DV program as a channel for granting immigrant status to "other persons of interest" because it's the only part of INA thats hard to account for. True? Maybe. False? Probably.

So chances are, for the rest of us 'non-interesting persons', we're just fillings or padding. Truth is I don't mind being a filling :)

The Irish guy’s comments would especially be welcome.

I am assuming that this in reference to me! :)

I don't think it's important to try to figure out how CN are generated.If i have any spare time , i will rather try to figure out the factors that influence consulars to make decisions on visa applications.You can apply all the mathematical formulae in the world to find out how CN are generated but a consular officer can terminate your dream in 5 minutes if you don't prepare well for your interview etc.Good luck with your CALCULATIONS.

I don’t see what the big problem is with trying to collaborate to figure out how the case numbers are running, talking about the DV process and understanding it is part of the aims of this forum??

Hows this for numbering? I remember once hearing that Uncle Sam uses the DV program as a channel for granting immigrant status to "other persons of interest" because it's the only part of INA thats hard to account for. True? Maybe. False? Probably.
So chances are, for the rest of us 'non-interesting persons', we're just fillings or padding. Truth is I don't mind being a filling :)

I am not sure that I would take this view, I reckon the DV is run just as it is suppose to be run, by total chance. I guess that’s easy for me to say though as I already have my GC. But anything is possible and therefore worth pointing out. I used the think the DV was a complete scam as I applied for it for YEARS and did not win, but now I obviously think different. ;-)

Anyway the CN’s this year seem very bizarre to me, I cant get a handle on them at all, the only thing I can think of is that the numbers are batched in regions, so 1-20,000 is EU 21,000 to 40,0000 is AS 41,000 to 60,000 is AF and so on. If someone can find people from a region with a low and very high case number then I guess this theory would be out the window.

I guess the idea that there is massive gaps between the numbers is probably the most likely answer to this riddle. If this is the answer then the bulletins for DV-09 will appear to mover very quickly, but in reality they won’t really be moving that quick as it will be full of empty slots.

Hallo

1- iam from Jordan me case numbr is 2009AS00011xx so your's theory" numbers are batched in regions " is out the will out of windows

loiy

Hallo

1- iam from Jordan me case numbr is 2009AS00011xxx so your's theory" numbers are batched in regions" it is out of windows.

2- saw some People they have NL With case number 2009EU00011xx
this -------> mean they have Mix the number.

3- the bulletins result is for DV-09 will appear to mover very quickly,

loiy

I am from Bangladesh, my CN is 2009AS00004XXX. As I read in this forum CNs numbering system are as follows:
2009EU00000001 (first person from EU)
2009AS00000002 (first person from AS)
2009AF00000003 (first person from AF)
2009AS00000004 (second person from AS)
2009EU00000005 (second person from EU)
This is the way the numbering system for CNs generated.

Where are American countries in this last theory? (i mean North, Center and Soutamerican people) ;)

I am assuming that this in reference to me! :)

If this is the answer then the bulletins for DV-09 will appear to mover very quickly, but in reality they won’t really be moving that quick as it will be full of empty slots.

What does that mean ????

I also think that this year the gaps are larger than in previous years.
The numbers do not appear to be mixed between regions, as each region has both low and high numbers.
The fact that there are gaps is clearly shown by the cut-off number that is posted in the visa bulletin each month: the numbers for big regions always end in "00" or even "000".
Unfortunately, we cannot be sure of anything.
If we guess how the numbers were assigned, we may estimate better when our interview is going to be...

Particularly for Asia , their is huge difference in case numner . In Nepal, some one's case number is just 2009AS000000++, just two digit ! and some one's is 2009AS00042+++.

lets tell me how can we calculate it.

hey, this is my assumption that :

asian case number system is quite different from last year.

there is total 14002 winners.

In my assumption, if some one's case number is one then pls count his/her spouse and children, (suppose case number 1 have 3 children and a spouse) , then the another persons case number in asia will be 5, like this .....

Assume that, total selectee 14002 (real), total number of spouses of those selectees ( around ( 9000 - 11000), total number of children of those selectees ( 15000 - 18000).

If it so, then it can be happened. by this some one's case number should be more than 42000.
Remember ! If case 1 get the visa, by this, another 4 selectee (principal applicant cant get their visa).

This is just my calculation. what you all think about it ?

with regards.

hey, this is my assumption that :
asian case number system is quite different from last year.
there is total 14002 winners.
In my assumption, if some one's case number is one then pls count his/her spouse and children, (suppose case number 1 have 3 children and a spouse) , then the another persons case number in asia will be 5, like this .....
Assume that, total selectee 14002 (real), total number of spouses of those selectees ( around ( 9000 - 11000), total number of children of those selectees ( 15000 - 18000).
If it so, then it can be happened. by this some one's case number should be more than 42000.
Remember ! If case 1 get the visa, by this, another 4 selectee (principal applicant cant get their visa).
This is just my calculation. what you all think about it ?
with regards.
Your calculations seem OK, but this means that a lot more people with children and spouses were selected compared to last year.
The same case # system should apply to all regions.