Texas Service Center : February 2003 Update

megabyte

Registered Users (C)
Texas Service Center : February 2003 Update

We at MurthyDotCom and the MURTHYBULLETIN regularly apprise our readers of issues specific to each of the INS Service Centers as new information becomes available. This update is the result of minutes from a January 13, 2003 liaison meeting with the Texas Service Center (TSC), recently released by the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

Fingerprinting

Some Adjustment of Status (I-485) cases filed with the TSC did not receive fingerprinting notices, because of a problem with the automatic scheduling system. The TSC has advised that all cases filed in 2000 are showing in their records as having been scheduled for fingerprinting. They will be giving priority to any 1998 and 1999 cases that still need fingerprinting.

With respect to 2001 cases, TSC found that approximately 5,000 still need fingerprinting notices. These cases are being scheduled and TSC projects it will have scheduled all I-485 applicants for fingerprinting by March 2003. Due to backlogs at the INS Application Support Centers (ASC), however, these individuals may not receive a fingerprint notice immediately. The notice may not be issued for several months, based on availability of time slots for fingerprinting at the ASCs.

It is possible to make an inquiry with TSC regarding fingerprinting in two situations. The first is if the I-485 was filed prior to the current processing date of November 1, 2000. The second is if the case is for a dependant family member who filed at the same time as the principal applicant and the principal has already been approved.

I-485 Processing

When asked about the impact of the new security clearances and, specifically, I-485 processing, TSC replied that they are continuing to process I-485 applications. At The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, PC, however, we note that we have yet to receive any post-freeze I-485 approvals from Texas. Other attorneys apparently are encountering similar delays at TSC.

I-130s

TSC was questioned regarding the substantial backlogs in the processing of Petitions for Alien Relative (I-130). They have been stuck on April 3, 1998 for preference relatives for an extended period. Immediate relatives have been backlogged to June 8, 2001 for several months, at least. The immediate relatives previously were processed at a much more reasonable pace.

TSC responded that they do not have sufficient funding to hire adequate personnel to process the volume of cases pending. They are developing a "backlog reduction plan" in hopes of reducing their I-130 backlogs.

© The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C.

>The TSC has advised that all cases filed in 2000 are showing in their records as having been scheduled for fingerprinting. They will be giving priority to any 1998 and 1999 cases that still need fingerprinting.

Wow, TSC thinks I485 people are waiting since '98?!

Reminds me of a story where a guy without shoes, who sulked everyday till he saw another guy without legs, and thought his life was not that bad.

I should shut up then.

Any news is good news.

Bajis, I am ready to clutch at a straw. It seems like the broad indications are that by April-May 2003, all of us in the 7 to 12-2001, ND group ought to have been Fingerprinted. THIS IS PER SHEELA MUTHY'S BULLETIN RELEASED TODAY. God does work miracles. Still waiting.

Thats not what i read. I thought what is said was that FP would be scheduled but notices would not be sent till back log is cleared. That means they would draw a plan of scheduled dates whenever it is. I'am not being pessemistic. EAD's are pending for more than 4-5 months for Oct 2002 cases, being realistic.