Tax Transcripts..Please advise

sandy boy

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
In some of the messages I have seen that most of the people are advising to take the tax transcripts for last 5 years for the interview. However, in the instructions of the form 4506-T it is mentioned that IRS can issue transcripts for last 3 years only. Can someone please advise as to what they did to get last 5 years transcripts ?

- Sandy boy

for citizenship ?

All I took was DL, GC and passport. Unless your tax situation is really complicated, just take the above mentioned things. Also, if you filed using turbotax, they let u access all previous tax returns. Anyhow, I don't think it's required at all for a citizenship interview.

Tax returns for US citizenship

Hi All,
In some of the messages I have seen that most of the people are advising to take the tax transcripts for last 5 years for the interview. However, in the instructions of the form 4506-T it is mentioned that IRS can issue transcripts for last 3 years only. Can someone please advise as to what they did to get last 5 years transcripts ?

- Sandy boy

I would take the tax forms seriously if you are filing your citizenship through a marriage to a US citizen. If not in most cases not useful when applying for citizenship after 5 years of permanent residency. Hope this is helpful.

It stated 3 year tax transcripts, I ordered 3 year tax transcripts from the IRS site. I brought my 3 year tax transcripts to the interview and was never asked for them.

Not even sure if the IRS will give out 5 year ones anymore, you would have to check on that. They do mail out the 3 year ones however...

I took transcipts for 3 years and originals for 2 years before that.
That's what I did too. I was never asked. If you are trying to prove a point (like that you really intended to remain a permanent resident even though you traveled so much), then taxes might get important. Otherwise...

The IO asked for my tax transcripts and boy was I glad I had them with me.

It is the luck of the draw regarding what an IO will ask for. So it is best to be prepared with your tax transcripts. I just called the IRS and they were mailed very quickly. They also faxed them to me at my request.

If they don't ask for them, great! If they do, you will be ready.

Teddybear

Another quick ?h

Do I Need to take only federal tax transcripts or state transcripts as well ?
Also, the IV letter mentioned to get all the documents used to enter the country. What does that mean ? Do I need to take all F1s/H1s?EAD/AP to the interview ???

Thanks,
Sandy Boy

The document you need is your Green Card. You shouldn't even have the AP or the EAD anymore, they should have been taken by the officer when you were accepted for the green card.

I thought it was a bit confusing at first too, and thought I had to get them all these documents I no longer have. Found out, only your green card is what they're asking you to bring (or if you don't have that, the documents that allowed you to reside, work in the US with)...

I personally think tax papers are not needed if you haven't been out of the US for more than 6 months at a time. They are used as proof of residency.
I did not take mine and was never asked.

Take your tax transcripts

Thanks to this forum, I took my tax transcripts and also my tax filing for 2006. My interview was yesterday and my IO asked for the tax papers, looked at it and filed it along with other papers in my file. I even gave him my 2006 tax filings and he made a copy of it and filed it.

Sometimes people say that boards like this makes them paranoid about stuff, but you know what, at the end of the day, I think I was better off taking my transcripts - thanks to this board. Probably, I would not have taken them if I hadn't been reading stuff on this board.

It is easy to get your tax transcripts faxed. Call the IRS and give them a fax number. If you don't have a fax number to give, then go to efax.com or any of those free fax web sites and get a fax number and give it to them.

If for some reason, you are not able to get the transcripts from the IRS, please take the copy which you have from the previous years following your GC and it should suffice.

It is never wrong to be over-prepared.

my 2 cents.

Sandy boy

- mine was at Garden City, New York
- Call up IRS and they will send you for 3 years and for the balance it is good
if you just take your personal copies of your tax filing and you should be
fine.

Good luck with your interviews