Tax Returns Transcript

soccer101

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I will be filing my N-400 application next month.
On reading the Instructions for the N-400 form, I had a question.

For Fremont area, which city in California do I need to file my N-400?

Secondly, for tax returns I have copies of the returns I had filed (such as from HR Block). Is this enough? Or do I need to get transcripts from IRS?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Get Tax Transcripts

In addition to the Tax returns, get the tax transcripts. They are free. You can either call IRS or file a form. I forgot the form number. I would recommend calling though.

You would get them in about 10 days.

mthakkar said:
In addition to the Tax returns, get the tax transcripts. They are free. You can either call IRS or file a form. I forgot the form number. I would recommend calling though.

You would get them in about 10 days.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html

"opic 156 - Copy of Your Tax Return – How to Get One

If you need an actual copy of your return, you should complete and mail Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return along with a check or money order for $ 39.00 per tax year made payable to the "United States Treasury". Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Most needs for tax return information can be met with a tax return transcript or a tax account transcript, rather than an actual copy of the return. The tax return transcript shows information from the return as it was originally filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either the taxpayer or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. Transcripts are provided free of charge. These transcripts may be acceptable substitutes for an actual copy of the return by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. Check with your agency or lender to be sure.

You can obtain a transcript by calling (800)–829–1040 or by completing and mailing Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to the address listed in the instructions to request all types of transcript verification of non-filing, and wage/income information.)

Transcripts will be mailed directly to you, and should be received within two weeks after the IRS gets your request. Transcripts can be mailed to a third party if you specify this on Form 4506–T. However, you must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure.
"

Thanks for the information.

For the tax transcripts, do I need to get it for 5 years? Or will 3 years suffice?

soccer101 said:
Thanks for the information.

For the tax transcripts, do I need to get it for 5 years? Or will 3 years suffice?

what is your n400 based on? 5 yrs PR or 3 yrs married with USC?

however, i *think* if your n400 is based on 3 yrs married with USC, you need to get the tax transcripts of your spouse too.

ocworker said:
what is your n400 based on? 5 yrs PR or 3 yrs married with USC?

however, i *think* if your n400 is based on 3 yrs married with USC, you need to get the tax transcripts of your spouse too.

Mine is based on employment-based GC. Do I need tax returns for past 5 years?

soccer101 said:
Mine is based on employment-based GC. Do I need tax returns for past 5 years?

you do not need to send tax transcripts along with your n400 form. however, it is never bad to bring a copy of the tax transcripts. you will never know if the interview officer would ask or not. they have their right to exam your tax transcripts / tax returns in past years.

You may look up under the sticky thread under this forum, and go to topic IRS tax transcript. There are two threads that give good info.

Tax transcripts are generally issued 3 years at a time...

So you would get one for 2002, 2003, and 2004.

You may need to specifically ask them for a second one that also shows 2000, 2001, and 2002.

Ratrat

krish24 said:
Why do you need transcripts from IRS when you have a copy of the return and W2?

having the tax return copy and w2 do not mean the person had filed for tax return. the person could print out the tax return form from PC but he might not even mail it out to IRS.

it is just my guess.

ocworker said:
having the tax return copy and w2 do not mean the person had filed for tax return. the person could print out the tax return form from PC but he might not even mail it out to IRS.

it is just my guess.

You are right !
Moreever, The tax transcript will also show what form of tax return you have filed : say 1040 A or some other form. forms series 1040 are for reisdents or citizens of USA, whreas some other forms ( I do not know the nos) are for NON-RESIDENTS of USA. It is most important that one filed a form which is for residents of USA and even by mistake not filed a form that is for NON-RESIDENTS.

I agree...

Tax returns show proof of INTENT TO FILE

Tax transcripts show proof that you FILED and PAID

Ratrat

The automated phone method to get transcripts only gets you one year's transcripts at at time (i.e. you need to request each year seperately), and you can typically only go back 3 years plus the most recent tax year. You can also get a statement of your tax account for each tax year the same way.

I just tried to get my 2004 transcript and it is apparently not available yet. I was able to request a 2004 statement of account.

Last edited by a moderator: