Tax returns and being a student

itsreallyme

Registered Users (C)
So I'll get straight to the question. I read somewhere that they want the applicant to present tax returns for the last 5 years, however for the last 4 years I've been student and I never worked, never had income, and never filed tax return. What can I do about it? Would they simply deny my application based on that?

So I'll get straight to the question. I read somewhere that they want the applicant to present tax returns for the last 5 years, however for the last 4 years I've been student and I never worked, never had income, and never filed tax return. What can I do about it? Would they simply deny my application based on that?

Easy. Get transscripts fro IRS. Go to www.irs.gov and download
transcript request form, file it and transcripts will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

It is not an issue and tax return are usually not requested for
citizenship application unless your application is marriage based.

Easy. Get transscripts fro IRS. Go to www.irs.gov and download
transcript request form, file it and transcripts will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

It is not an issue and tax return are usually not requested for
citizenship application unless your application is marriage based.

Since the OP never filed any tax returns, there is no point in requesting any transcripts from IRS since IRS will have no records of him. (Incidentally, one does not need to mail a form to request a tax transcript; this can be done over the phone by calling IRS' 800 number. A form is really only needed when an actual photocopy of a tax return, rather than a transcript, is requested or when one needs info about tax returns that are more than 5 years old).

However, you are correct that tax returns are not actually required unless an N-400 application is based on a 3-year marriage to a U.S. citizen.