tax expert need ur help guys thanks

nadiriqbal

Registered Users (C)
hi experties i am married but i lived with my wife only for 4 month than i moved to difrent state and i started working here, my question are i filled 1st in 2011 tax as Single some i got money and used it ,than some body told me i need to ammendment and change my status MARRIED FILLING SEPRATLY so i did it and i got later for unpaid taxes, today i went to one tax guy and i told him all story he said this is ok u are living sepratly and perhaps u going to file divorce soon so that mean ur still single ,so he filled me this year 2012 as single ,so can any body guide me is that correct or he did some thing wrong thank u

Need help for F-1 OPT student taxes , Please Help

Hi all,
I need your help.
I am on student visa and completed my MBA from Florida in Sep 2012. I am on OPT right now from sep 2012 and i got my SSN on same month, after that I didn't work anywhere in US till date ( Feb 28th 2013). so my question is that " Do I have to pay any taxes like federal tax or state tax for 2012.? if so , how much?

Please let me know what to do with this.
Thanks in Advance.

Hiren Patel

hi experties i am married but i lived with my wife only for 4 month than i moved to difrent state and i started working here, my question are i filled 1st in 2011 tax as Single some i got money and used it ,than some body told me i need to ammendment and change my status MARRIED FILLING SEPRATLY so i did it and i got later for unpaid taxes, today i went to one tax guy and i told him all story he said this is ok u are living sepratly and perhaps u going to file divorce soon so that mean ur still single ,so he filled me this year 2012 as single ,so can any body guide me is that correct or he did some thing wrong thank u

If you are married, you must file as either Married Filing Separately or Married Filing Jointly, never as Single. Married Filing Separately is usually worse than Married Filing Jointly.

OPT Student needs help with taxes, please!

Hi!

I am a former international student from Mexico who is now working in Missouri on OPT.

Taxes are due very soon and I'm a little confused as to what to do with my case.

My income is more than the exempt amount for Non-Residents, so I must file. I used TAXACT to do my taxes, and it all went well. It sent me my form 1040 (first warning sign), and all the other documents I need for state and federal taxes.

Upon finishing with TAXACT (and paying them) I found out that OPT students need/must file form 1040NR-EZ - which is completely different than form 1040 (the one I received from TAXACT). This has me extremely confused. I do not know which form to send in. Knowing that either way I have to pay an amount to the IRS is okay, but not knowing which one is the right amount preoccupies me.

In the worst of cases, I just end up paying more than necessary. (would the IRS return any extra money that I had sent?).

I would really appreciate your assistance! I know this is rather a simple matter, but I am so confused now.

Rodrigo

Hi!

I am a former international student from Mexico who is now working in Missouri on OPT.

Taxes are due very soon and I'm a little confused as to what to do with my case.

My income is more than the exempt amount for Non-Residents, so I must file. I used TAXACT to do my taxes, and it all went well. It sent me my form 1040 (first warning sign), and all the other documents I need for state and federal taxes.

Upon finishing with TAXACT (and paying them) I found out that OPT students need/must file form 1040NR-EZ - which is completely different than form 1040 (the one I received from TAXACT). This has me extremely confused. I do not know which form to send in. Knowing that either way I have to pay an amount to the IRS is okay, but not knowing which one is the right amount preoccupies me.

In the worst of cases, I just end up paying more than necessary. (would the IRS return any extra money that I had sent?).

I would really appreciate your assistance! I know this is rather a simple matter, but I am so confused now.

Rodrigo

Most likely, you will pay less than necessary, and you will be evading taxes.

General software like Turbotax, TAxact, etc. all cannot do nonresident taxes. Only Glacier (usually through a school) can do this.

First, you need to make sure you are a nonresident. International students are only exempt from the substantial presence test for 5 calendar years. So e.g. if you entered the U.S. in 2007 or before, you are a resident for all of 2012. Whether you are a resident or not is also important not just for when filing taxes, because if you are a resident you get deducted FICA taxes (social security tax and Medicare tax), and nonresident on F1 do not. This matters to you right now since your work may be deducting this.

Experts nistinat

Most likely, you will pay less than necessary, and you will be evading taxes.

General software like Turbotax, TAxact, etc. all cannot do nonresident taxes. Only Glacier (usually through a school) can do this.

First, you need to make sure you are a nonresident. International students are only exempt from the substantial presence test for 5 calendar years. So e.g. if you entered the U.S. in 2007 or before, you are a resident for all of 2012. Whether you are a resident or not is also important not just for when filing taxes, because if you are a resident you get deducted FICA taxes (social security tax and Medicare tax), and nonresident on F1 do not. This matters to you right now since your work may be deducting this.

--

First of all, thank you very much for your timely reply!

that is scary! I don't want to evade taxes. I wish I would have known about TAXact not being suitable for my situation before.

I am a non resident since I have been on F-1 status since Aug 2008 (this would be my 5th year on F-1) - which means that I am not required to pay FICA taxes (SS and Medicare) where I am working.

Any idea about how complicated it is to correctly fill out the 1040NR-EZ without using Glacier?

--

First of all, thank you very much for your timely reply!

that is scary! I don't want to evade taxes. I wish I would have known about TAXact not being suitable for my situation before.

I am a non resident since I have been on F-1 status since Aug 2008 (this would be my 5th year on F-1) - which means that I am not required to pay FICA taxes (SS and Medicare) where I am working.

Any idea about how complicated it is to correctly fill out the 1040NR-EZ without using Glacier?

Okay, so 2012 is the last year that you are a nonresident alien. That means right now you're a resident alien.

It is not hard to fill out 1040NR-EZ. You will also need to fill out form 8843, since as F1 first 5 years, you are an exempt individual. If there is a tax treaty between the U.S. and your country you can take advantage of (especially with regards to international students), you would use that on 1040NR-EZ. Glacier would probably consider the treaty for you, but you can look it up yourself.

Thanks!

Okay, so 2012 is the last year that you are a nonresident alien. That means right now you're a resident alien.

It is not hard to fill out 1040NR-EZ. You will also need to fill out form 8843, since as F1 first 5 years, you are an exempt individual. If there is a tax treaty between the U.S. and your country you can take advantage of (especially with regards to international students), you would use that on 1040NR-EZ. Glacier would probably consider the treaty for you, but you can look it up yourself.

---

Thanks for your reply, once again.

So for my 2013 taxes I would be considered a resident alien, right? not for 2012 (5th year of nonresident alien).

I have been so confused and frustrated lately on what forms to use that it all seems so hard! but I have to soldier on and get it done (or pay someone to do it for me, hehe) - Would the best move be to have Glacier do my taxes? is it worth their fee (around $40 for an individual), or is it something that I could do on my own following the instructions? Sorry I sound so redundant, but I just want to get this right.

I am from Mexico, so hopefully there is a tax treaty that might help me.

Your input is greatly appreciated!