tax deductions for attorney fees

Elena100

We've got political asylum recently. I heard that the related attorney fees and other expenses may be deducted for federal income tax purposes.
Is it true? If yes then how?
Thank you for any information

Elena100 said:
We've got political asylum recently. I heard that the related attorney fees and other expenses may be deducted for federal income tax purposes.
Is it true? If yes then how?
Thank you for any information

Elena:
Not directly for asylum. If your legal expenses are for something that allows you to work, that is deductable. So the logic is, without the legal expense you wouldn't have gotten the asylum, and without the asylum you couldn't work, hence its deductible.

I claimed the deduction and it was fine. To be safe, get the attorney's TIN, and give him a 1099 to the amount of the legal fee.

Floyd

a few years ago my tax advisor told me that immigration related expenses are not tax deductible. I guess the point behind it is that our application was not to get a work authorization but rather get the protection. While i prefer to do taxes myself, in this case i would suggest to get it through paid tax preparer with his/her signature, should they agree claim them deductible.