Tampa AOS interviews

CanadianGrl

Registered Users (C)
Alright,
first off thank you to everyone that helped me out with what to bring!
We showed up with about 30 pounds of paperwork, photos, tax returns, wedding albums, cards.

Our appointment was at 1 pm, we arrived around 12:15. We got in the lineup, and waited. and waited and waited. (got a little warm considering it is still in the high 80s, 90s) At about 12:55 they let us in along with a swarm of other people coming in for the same thing (and some naturalization cases) We signed in, and waited right up at the door to be called.

A few things we noticed in the waiting room: Listen carefully. A few people didn't hear their names be called, and that just makes the officers mad. They don't know you, so they might not know how to pronounce your name. Pay attention. Also, we noticed this man sitting by himself in the waiting room. After about 20 minutes, he walked up to the door, and used his scancard to let himself in. We later saw him in an office. (He was people watching, and we arn't sure why, but that is definatly what he was up to)

At about 1:20 we got called in.
The officer was quite polite, and made fun of my husband and his cowboy hat. He took us to the office, and swore us in.
He then went over all my papers, asked me the usual questions (Have I ever been arrested, have I been deported, have I had problems with the police.. no no no and no) He then asked for my medical exam, our letter from my husbands employer, a copy of our taxes from 04, and some bills in both of our names. I gave him all of the above.
He asked us a few questions, Where we got married (I think meaning what country) how long we had been married, how we met.. and I think that was pretty much it.
He then started talking about what we were going to do next, because my card is only a conditional residency. (I guess that meant we were already approved!) We laughed, and asked him if he was even going to look at our pictures. He looked at them, (mainly wedding photos) and laughed at us.

He was very nice, and he really didn't try to trap us with any tricky questions. He then filled out this little paper thing for me, and put my picture on it. He told me it was a temporary greencard, and I would get mine in the mail in 1 - 2 months.
He took my EAD, and then a fingerprint for my card he gave me. That was about it!
He shook out hands as we left, and I have to say, that was a LOT easier than I was expecting.

Feel free to ask me any questions!
-CanadianGrl- (halfway american now!)

Hi,
I am applying for my GC in Tampa as well. I had a few questions when I started reading your post but I guess you answered most of them there. How long altogether you were inside? Are pics really necessary? I don't have many of them, being unemployed forever, and studying at college, I don't get out much. Thanks for all the other tips. When did you applied for GC? How long till you got your first EAD and how did you get it, by mail or in person? How long till your SS card came?
Thanks.

Hi there, Canadian Girl! Opsss….it’s AlmostAmerican now :D
Congratulations on your successful interview and best of luck!
Jane.

P.S. I read reports from other people, who thought they were watched in the waiting room as well. Scary. Seems like they try to fish out “fake couples” right outside the INS door. :eek:

kaligurl said:
Hi,
I am applying for my GC in Tampa as well. I had a few questions when I started reading your post but I guess you answered most of them there. How long altogether you were inside? Are pics really necessary? I don't have many of them, being unemployed forever, and studying at college, I don't get out much. Thanks for all the other tips. When did you applied for GC? How long till you got your first EAD and how did you get it, by mail or in person? How long till your SS card came?
Thanks.

Hi Kaligurl!
We got called in at about 1:20, and we were in the car on the way home by 2:00. The interview was probably only 20 minutes long, and the other 20 was him explaining how to go from here, and making my temp alien card. (Because I don't have a passport)
We spent soooooo much time getting photos, we are really not picture takers, so I emailed everyone I know that has been around us in the past 2 years, and asked them all to send us pics. I searched our computer for pics that we took on the digital camera, and put them on a CD and took it to wal-mart and had them make pics for us.. We ended up with 1 almost full album. He really only wanted to see wedding pics though. We didn't have any really professional ones either, we just had the ones a friend took for us. (Small, informal wedding) 4x6. He was happy with them. We had one of my father walking me down the isle, one of the preacher, and us in the background, a few crowd shots, a few close ups of us.. Even if you just make one of those little albums (you know the ones that are like 20 pages) to have something for them. So as long as you have a few.. but I would say yes, you have to have some at least.

My first EAD was a story in it's own right. When we applied for it (all via mail) I received my notice requesting biometrics. So I called and made my appointment. Apparently, they made it just for my AOS, and not my EAD, but no one told us that. (even though I asked for an appointment for both) So we waited, and waited and waited for it in the mail. After the 90 days, I started calling the 1-800 number, and they kept saying that they would put in an inquiry, and I would get a letter in the mail in 30 days. It never came. After the 30 days, I would call back, and go through it all again. 3 calls later, they told me to write a letter to the director askign for a case status report. I wrote a cover letter, sent copys of my papers, and nothing. I sent another one. Nothing.. Finally, we spend another month trying to get an appointment trying to get in to the office in Tampa to ask why, and she tells us that we have been approved, and that I had to go for my biometics again. Oh yeah, and it was going to expire anyways in 90 days. So as we left the office, I called, got an appointment, and went for biometrics the next month. (I will give my timeline after this novel) I got to the office to have my bio done, and my appointment wasn't on the paper... but I had my confirmation number, so they let us in. He did the bio, and that night, I had a confirmation email from them. I got my card 3 days later. (in the mail)
I didn't reapply though, as I am not working, so it didn't matter if it expired. He took the card from me in my interview anyways, and you don't need to get another one if you get your AOS approved. Now, when we were at the office on wednesday, there were probably 50 people in line to get interim work EADs.. so if you are having issues, maybe apply for one?
I am going to apply for my SS number this coming week, I haven't done that yet, as I have only had my EAD for a few weeks now.. and we don't have a SS office here in town. I will let you know as soon as it gets here though.

Other tips: BRING PHOTOCOPYS! I had copys of EVERYTHING. A complete tax return package for him, Including color copys of the forms, worksheets, everything. He took the whole package, and was happy about it. They will take your notice form for your AOS. So if you want a copy, make one for your records. Have copys of your bills for they, because they do want to keep them. If you are unable to get your name on a shared bank account, try again in person. We went in, (after they told us they wouldn't) and we were able to get my name on the Checking, but not savings without a Social Security number. I know brighthouse does not need a SSN to add a second name, and they will send you a copy of your bill if you need one asap.
Also, don't panic if your medical says that you are not immune to HEP. My titers are out of date, and we were really worried about that. They just want to know that you don't have any untreated communicable diseases. (If you do have anything, you can go to the health department, get it treated, and get a note from them to add to your file)
Hopefully I have given a few people enough information to help! lol.

Jane was very right though, Treat it like a job interview, show up with confidence. Even if you get a few things wrong, they arn't planning to deport you unless you really have raised a red flag. GOODLUCK! (and keep everyone posted!)

My timeline is as follows:
16/10/03 arrive in the US as a visitor (was only planning to stay a month!)
Married 13/06/04
filed all my papers (I-485, I-765, I-130, and I-865) August 30th, got all my recipts on the 10/09/04
First Biometrics was done on 23/10/04 (AOS)
and Second was on 9/9/05 (EAD)
received EAD 13/09/05
Recieved my notice for my AOS on 15/07/05 appointment date 28/02/05

Jane Green said:
Hi there, Canadian Girl! Opsss….it’s AlmostAmerican now :D
Congratulations on your successful interview and best of luck!
Jane.

P.S. I read reports from other people, who thought they were watched in the waiting room as well. Scary. Seems like they try to fish out “fake couples” right outside the INS door. :eek:

Thanks very much Jane! You are such a great help!

Interesting that they would do that.. I figured on secret cameras.. but the hidden guy, that was a nice touch. It is probably a great way to do that though.. people under stress are less likely to remember to fake intimacy, than a real couple.

Since I don't have a passport (Canadians do not need one currently to cross over the boarder) he couldn't stamp.. so he made me a temporary card. (looks like an arrival departure record, with my pic on it, and a crimpy stamp with the seal on it.. also has that I am eligable to work on it.) He said I could use it to cross, but suggested that I wait until I got my real card in the mail. That should take 1 - 3 months.

looks like you should be making out, outside the interview doors if you want something positive... ;)

hi, cong.
do I need 2*2 photo with me?
is a joint bank account or utility bill really important?
we have a joint house and car/house/medical insurance on both name, will that enough?

nidasheets: This is my question.

I came here in the united states as KI visa or fiancee visa, my fiancee called me while im in the process of of my medical exam as one of the requirements he said that he will not marry me anymore, and i had already a scheduled for my interview to the US embassay, in my mind come what may, if he drop his petition of coming to the united states or not, so i take a chance to showed up the interview, its a surprise that he did not drop it. So i got a visa, since i had visa i can come to visit america, my x fiancee is a changeable mind, he said he will marry me and then all of the sudden he change his mind again, So i decide not to marry him, i meet a guy and told him my situation, and he meet me in person and then we get along in a period of time and we decide to get

A B C D E F G H I J K

k1 tampa

This is my question.

I came here in the united states as KI visa or fiancee visa, my fiancee called me while im in the process of of my medical exam as one of the requirements he said that he will not marry me anymore, and i had already a scheduled for my interview to the US embassay, in my mind come what may, if he drop his petition of coming to the united states or not, so i take a chance to showed up the interview, its a surprise that he did not drop it. So i got a visa, since i had visa i can come to visit america, my x fiancee is a changeable mind, he said he will marry me and then all of the sudden he change his mind again, So i decide not to marry him, i meet a guy and told him my situation, and he meet me in person and then we get along in a period of time and we decide to get married, he is a christian and im a christian, both single never been married. so we applied for permanent resident or adjust status form I-485, i had my finger printing done and the INS scheduled for an interview, and lady found out that i did not marry the guy who petition me, and she accuseed me of fraud. She ask many questions related to our relationship, which is she find that we live together, and she ask more evidence to be submitted. My question is will the INS kick me out and back to my country or put me in jailed. We been married with my husband 1 year 5 months now. and we many documents to prove it.

utility bills

do we really need to have the utility bills in our names? would they reject our application if we dont have one?

nidasheets said:
This is my question.

I came here in the united states as KI visa or fiancee visa, my fiancee called me while im in the process of of my medical exam as one of the requirements he said that he will not marry me anymore, and i had already a scheduled for my interview to the US embassay, in my mind come what may, if he drop his petition of coming to the united states or not, so i take a chance to showed up the interview, its a surprise that he did not drop it. So i got a visa, since i had visa i can come to visit america, my x fiancee is a changeable mind, he said he will marry me and then all of the sudden he change his mind again, So i decide not to marry him, i meet a guy and told him my situation, and he meet me in person and then we get along in a period of time and we decide to get married, he is a christian and im a christian, both single never been married. so we applied for permanent resident or adjust status form I-485, i had my finger printing done and the INS scheduled for an interview, and lady found out that i did not marry the guy who petition me, and she accuseed me of fraud. She ask many questions related to our relationship, which is she find that we live together, and she ask more evidence to be submitted. My question is will the INS kick me out and back to my country or put me in jailed. We been married with my husband 1 year 5 months now. and we many documents to prove it.

I am sorry for your situation, but if the K1 fiancee doesn't marry the person who petition for her she can't marry another person, because that visa (how you come/allowed to this country) was just and only for the purpose that you got marry with the person who petition for you. If she asked you for more evidence (which at least is a good sign I think), then submitt more evidence like why you didn't marry to your ex-fiance and how you met your husband, letters from friends and so on, family? I will check with a lawyer, good luck,

vinda327 said:
do we really need to have the utility bills in our names? would they reject our application if we dont have one?

It is advice, since for USCIS are proof of your bona fide marriage. If you have a lease with your spouse try to get your both names on it.
Good luck,

What's the emplyer letter should say?

CanadianGrl said:
Alright,
first off thank you to everyone that helped me out with what to bring!
We showed up with about 30 pounds of paperwork, photos, tax returns, wedding albums, cards.

Our appointment was at 1 pm, we arrived around 12:15. We got in the lineup, and waited. and waited and waited. (got a little warm considering it is still in the high 80s, 90s) At about 12:55 they let us in along with a swarm of other people coming in for the same thing (and some naturalization cases) We signed in, and waited right up at the door to be called.

A few things we noticed in the waiting room: Listen carefully. A few people didn't hear their names be called, and that just makes the officers mad. They don't know you, so they might not know how to pronounce your name. Pay attention. Also, we noticed this man sitting by himself in the waiting room. After about 20 minutes, he walked up to the door, and used his scancard to let himself in. We later saw him in an office. (He was people watching, and we arn't sure why, but that is definatly what he was up to)

At about 1:20 we got called in.
The officer was quite polite, and made fun of my husband and his cowboy hat. He took us to the office, and swore us in.
He then went over all my papers, asked me the usual questions (Have I ever been arrested, have I been deported, have I had problems with the police.. no no no and no) He then asked for my medical exam, our letter from my husbands employer, a copy of our taxes from 04, and some bills in both of our names. I gave him all of the above.
He asked us a few questions, Where we got married (I think meaning what country) how long we had been married, how we met.. and I think that was pretty much it.
He then started talking about what we were going to do next, because my card is only a conditional residency. (I guess that meant we were already approved!) We laughed, and asked him if he was even going to look at our pictures. He looked at them, (mainly wedding photos) and laughed at us.

He was very nice, and he really didn't try to trap us with any tricky questions. He then filled out this little paper thing for me, and put my picture on it. He told me it was a temporary greencard, and I would get mine in the mail in 1 - 2 months.
He took my EAD, and then a fingerprint for my card he gave me. That was about it!
He shook out hands as we left, and I have to say, that was a LOT easier than I was expecting.

Feel free to ask me any questions!
-CanadianGrl- (halfway american now!)

Congratulations!

I was just wondering what should the employer letter write about? I asked my boss to write a letter for my GC interview, he asked me what should he write? Thank you very much!!

Congratulations again!