Surrender of Indian passport in India

buddyboy

Registered Users (C)
Hi. Does anyone have any experience with renouncing Indian citizenship while visiting India. I am just trying to avoid the $250 penalty charged by the missions here in the US. If so, where (in Chennai) can I go and surrender the passport and cert a surrender cert? And what are the fees associated with this? Thanks.

Which passport did you use for entry into India?

My US passport.

Just to be clear, I will be entering India with my US passport and OCI. Now, I would like to surrender my Indian passport and get a surrender cert while in India. Is that possible. In my case, I got my US citizenship back in 2008 and I got my OCI done at that time as well. So, now its well over 5 years, so the $250 penalty applies. I am trying to find out if I can avoid this penalty if I get the renunciation done in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI with Cancelled stamp

My US passport.

Just to be clear, I will be entering India with my US passport and OCI. Now, I would like to surrender my Indian passport and get a surrender cert while in India. Is that possible. In my case, I got my US citizenship back in 2008 and I got my OCI done at that time as well. So, now its well over 5 years, so the $250 penalty applies. I am trying to find out if I can avoid this penalty if I get the renunciation done in India.

When you got OCI did you get your indian passport cancelled with the "cancelled" stamp? If so you dont have to pay the $250 penalty