:) Successfull H4-H1 Toronto!!!!!!!!!!!!

shiva_wvu

Registered Users (C)
First I want to thank the posts in this forum which helped throughout the process for my wife's H1 stamping.

Scenario: H4 to H1
Background : Entered US 1999 on F1
COS to F1 in 2002
Did not complete Masters
COS to H4 in Aug 2004
COS to H1 in Oct 2006

Docs List:
Apt Letter
DS-156
DS-157
Scotia Bank deposit slips
I-797 (h1 Approval)

Employer Verification Letter
Original Offer Letter
I-129, LCA
Pay Stubs ( 4 payslips)
Bank Statements
Client Letter

Original Degree Certificate (Bachelors from India)
Evaluation Certificate
Evaluation of transcripts
Computer certificates
Resume

All previous I-94's
SSN card
Drivers Licence
Previous I-20's

Complete set of spouse H1 docs (copies)

Experience:

We drove from Phily to Toronto. It takes approx 8 hours including Border crossing.

At Canadian border : Were asked general questions such as purpose of visit, where would you be staying, are you carrying any gifts, and lastly when are you returning.

Stayed at the Metropolitan hotel in Chestnut St in Downtown Toronto. Just one block from the consulate.

Consulate:
My wife entered at 9:45 as she had an 10:00 apptmt. There was no crowd at all at that time. I waited for her at the corner Tim Hortons. People can stand just opposite the Consulate without any problems. There is also a parking garage opposite the consulate for people who are driving, $3 per half hour.

Experience inside the consulate as narrated by my wife:
First they ask you to scan your belongings. They ask you to get rid of any electronic devices, food, cell phones. So dont carry anything apart from the docs.

There were 5 counters. 1 for doc checking, 1 for finger printing, 3 for the VO's. This happens in an orderly fashion.

VO Questions:
What is the work you do
Who is your employer
Who are the clients

Thats it......No docs asked. She answered these straightforward answers and she was done. They asked her to come the next day at 3 and collect her passport.

Collected passport the next day and started off to Phily.

At the US Border they gave her the new I-94 ($6 fee) and we were done. Arrived in Phily in approx 8 hours.

Hope this helps all of you who are in the same situation as my wife and are skeptical of going to Canada. If you have all the docs prepared correctly you should not have any problems. I was also speaking to a lot of people there who were coming out of the consulate and almost everyone got their visa's. Only one chinese did not get it and was asked to wait until security clearnace. He was a chemical engg.