Successful J-1 Waive based on No Objection Statement - NIGERIA (2013)

ChuckE

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

During the process of applying for my waiver, I got a lot of useful information online that helped me submit a successful waiver application. This by no means eased my apprehension during my waiting period. I'm happy to announce that my waiver got approved last week and I am now at peace :D. My timeline is below. The process of obtaining NOS from the Nigerian Consulate in DC is very straightforward. I was granted the NOS about 9 days after they received my application. One thing I think is important is that you really understand your J-1 situation before applying for a waiver. I prepared the entire application myself and asked questions before submitting. My situation was a good case for NOS-based waiver. I attended grad school on F-1 visa and only got J-1 because that was the visa type attached to the job offer I got after graduation. Very lucky for me, I was paid only with private funds and not government funds, otherwise this would have changed the dynamic. In any case, the process was still emotionally draining.

USCIS approved the Favorable Recommendation exactly 6 weeks after receiving it from DOS

Recommendation Sent March 15, 2013, received by USCIS March 18

No Objection Statement Received March 11, 2013. This time reflects when it posted online although it was sent to DOS about a week earlier

The documents below were actually received in Missouri on February 20. The dates below reflect when it posted online.

Fee Received March 04, 2013
Form DS-3035 Received March 04, 2013
Form DS-2019 Received March 04, 2013
Passport Data Page Received March 04, 2013
Statement Of Reason Received March 04, 2013

Feel free to ask me any questions. All the best to those still in the process.

J1 honduras waiver main question: Do i need to wait have waiver approved for i485 aos??

REALLY THIS IS MY MAIN QUESTION: I GOT MY PRIORITY DATE CURRENT UNTIL JUL 31, 2013 BUT I HAVE "PENDING" STATUS ON MY DOS WAIVER REQUEST ON NOS GROUNDS. SO, CAN I FILE I485 EVEN IF BY JUL 31, 2013 I DO NOT HAVE THE WAIVER APPROVAL? HOW ABOUT IF WAIT FOR WAIVER AND EVEN IT IS APPROVED I DONT HAVE CURRENCY AT MY PRIORITY DATE WHEN I AM GETTING WAIVER APPROVAL.

MY FAMILY IS ANXIOUS & DEPRESSED BECAUSE WE HAVE WAIT 2 MUCH TIME, HAVE SPENT MORE THAN $20,000 & THEY DONT TRUST I CAN BE SUCCESSFUL GETTIN GREEN CARDS FOR US!

I THINK WE COULD HAVE A SORT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP 4 IMMIGRANTS WHO SUFFER ANXIETY SITUATION DUE TO THIS VERY SINUOSOS CAMINOS (winding roads) WE NEED TO GO THROUGH!

BUT, I DONT KNOW HOW 2 QUIT!

SOMETIMES I THINK I AM LIKE MY HEROE BOBBY SANDS! HE NEVER GAVE UP!:cool::eek:

Statement of reason

Hi guys,

During the process of applying for my waiver, I got a lot of useful information online that helped me submit a successful waiver application. This by no means eased my apprehension during my waiting period. I'm happy to announce that my waiver got approved last week and I am now at peace :D. My timeline is below. The process of obtaining NOS from the Nigerian Consulate in DC is very straightforward. I was granted the NOS about 9 days after they received my application. One thing I think is important is that you really understand your J-1 situation before applying for a waiver. I prepared the entire application myself and asked questions before submitting. My situation was a good case for NOS-based waiver. I attended grad school on F-1 visa and only got J-1 because that was the visa type attached to the job offer I got after graduation. Very lucky for me, I was paid only with private funds and not government funds, otherwise this would have changed the dynamic. In any case, the process was still emotionally draining.

USCIS approved the Favorable Recommendation exactly 6 weeks after receiving it from DOS

No Objection Statement Received March 11, 2013. This time reflects when it posted online although it was sent to DOS about a week earlier

The documents below were actually received in Missouri on February 20. The dates below reflect when it posted online.

Thanks for posting your experience!

Could you please post your "statement of reason" for NOS based waiver?

Question about j1 visa waiver

Hello. Thanks for your post. On a World bank scholarship for my Masters program. do you know if I can get a waiver from the 2yr residency rule from Nigerian consulate when i am thru with the program?
Hi guys,

Insndl factory

HI,

My name is Mili. My friend, Arjun Narang, was at CMU for six months on a J1 short-term scholar visa from Feb'13 to Jul'13 after which he returned back to INDIA. His DS-2019 and visa clearly states that he is subjected to 'two year home rule based on exchange visitor skill list'. Now he is planning to go back to CMU again on a J1 Research Scholar visa. He has received his new DS-2019. I have a few doubts regarding the visa. It will be very kind if could help me with a few questions -

1. Is it likely that he will be subjected to a second 'two year home rule' even if he will is going back to CMU again and working with the same department on the same project? So, does this mean that he is supposed to spend 4 years(2+2) at home before he can get a H1 visa in the future?

2. He plans to do Masters in Fall 2014 from USA. Would this 'two year home rule' prevent him from obtaining a F1 student visa?

3. The date of expiry on his new DS-2019 is 31st July'14. So he'll probably be issued a visa till 31st August'14. His project at CMU may get completed a little before July'14 and he may then return to his home country. So I wanted to know if this would prevent him from getting his I-20 before 31st July'14. The Masters programme usually starts on 1st Sept'14. I want to make sure that he'll be ready with his visa and his I-20 well before that.

4. Is it possible to obtain two J1 waivers? Has anybody got it before? What are the chances of getting a J1 waiver in his case? He is using his own money to fund his visit to CMU and he is not getting paid.

5. Would it be possible to apply for a waiver while he is in USA?

I'll really appreciate if you could help me with the above questions and guide him on how to proceed.

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Mili Mishra

Hello. Thanks for your post. On a World bank scholarship for my Masters program. do you know if I can get a waiver from the 2yr residency rule from Nigerian consulate when i am thru with the program?

It's hard to tell, without knowing the facts of your case. I am not a lawyer neither am I an expert on immigration issues. I just made sure I understood my situation and the facts about waivers based on No Objection, and concluded I had a high chance of getting the waiver. Getting a waiver depends on many factors. It's important to know that chances of getting a waiver if sponsored by your home government or the US government are very slim. But my attitude has always been never say never. If you truly desire a waiver and see even the slightest chance of getting one, go for it and put in your best application. You never can tell. However, I believe the Nigerian Consulate will provide the No Objection statement. Remember that NOS is just to complete your waiver application and is not a guarantee of getting an approval. It is up to USCIS to approve the waiver. The USCIS approval is what's important.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI,

My name is Mili. My friend, Arjun Narang, was at CMU for six months on a J1 short-term scholar visa from Feb'13 to Jul'13 after which he returned back to INDIA. His DS-2019 and visa clearly states that he is subjected to 'two year home rule based on exchange visitor skill list'. Now he is planning to go back to CMU again on a J1 Research Scholar visa. He has received his new DS-2019. I have a few doubts regarding the visa. It will be very kind if could help me with a few questions -

1. Is it likely that he will be subjected to a second 'two year home rule' even if he will is going back to CMU again and working with the same department on the same project? So, does this mean that he is supposed to spend 4 years(2+2) at home before he can get a H1 visa in the future?

2. He plans to do Masters in Fall 2014 from USA. Would this 'two year home rule' prevent him from obtaining a F1 student visa?

3. The date of expiry on his new DS-2019 is 31st July'14. So he'll probably be issued a visa till 31st August'14. His project at CMU may get completed a little before July'14 and he may then return to his home country. So I wanted to know if this would prevent him from getting his I-20 before 31st July'14. The Masters programme usually starts on 1st Sept'14. I want to make sure that he'll be ready with his visa and his I-20 well before that.

4. Is it possible to obtain two J1 waivers? Has anybody got it before? What are the chances of getting a J1 waiver in his case? He is using his own money to fund his visit to CMU and he is not getting paid.

I'll really appreciate if you could help me with the above questions and guide him on how to proceed.

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Mili Mishra

Hi Mili,
I'm sorry I don't have the answer to all your questions. But I can confidently answer a couple of them.

As far as I recall, 2 year home requirement will not prevent him from obtaining an F1 visa. In fact, an F-1 visa is one way to postpone the requirement. However, he'll still have to fulfill the 2 year home requirement after the Masters program, unless he gets a waiver.

Yes, he can apply for a waiver while in the USA. That's exactly what I did. He should have no problem with that unless the immigration law has changed in that regard since I applied for mine.

I'll suggest he contact a knowledgeable immigration/J1 waiver attorney for all his questions... or do the research. A lot of info can be gotten online. Visit avvo.com to ask questions of lawyers and see others questions and answers.

Thanks for posting your experience!

Could you please post your "statement of reason" for NOS based waiver?

Here's my statement of reason, with identifying info deleted. Obviously, this was specific to my situation but it can give you an idea how to go about it.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I write to request a waiver of the two-year home country physical presence requirement in order to satisfactorily pursue my professional research objectives and to advance my career. This two-year requirement is associated with the J-1 Research visa I was issued following my _____________ in (year). I did not receive any funding from my home government or other government institution at any time during my studies or research activities.

My research at ___________, which involves _________________________, can only be adequately conducted here in the United States because of the facilities at my disposal and the direct mentorship I receive. Furthermore, this research is of national significance and has high humanitarian benefits. Although some of our findings have been published in scientific journals (please see: insert link to publications), it is still a work in progress and I look forward to utilizing the opportunity made possible by a waiver to continue my research without the extended interruption returning home for two years would cause.

My home country has no objection to my continued stay in the United States either now or in the foreseeable future, and will issue a No Objection Statement through our embassy in Washington DC. Additionally, I firmly believe that the continuation of my research will ultimately expand avenues for future collaborations between my country and the United States, thereby maintaining the original goals of the Exchange Visitor program.

I will be happy to provide you with additional information if required. Please feel free to contact me on ________ .

Thank you in advance for your assistance and prompt attention to this matter.

J1-NOS Processing Time

Hi!

Thanks for sharing your experience in this daunting task.

I wanted to clarify about the timing of the whole process. My file is complete as of Feb-20th (NOS received on 20th Feb, all other documents received 16th Jan), this is by checking the status at the DOS website.

1. When do you think I will be able to find out about my application?
2. Do I have to wait another 6 weeks?

Thank you!