successful family based cp at mumbai

oneworld

Registered Users (C)
My mother successfully completed her family based CP in mumbai recently.

Thanks to everyone on this message board for sharing their immigration experience. It helped me a lot in getting my mother through the CP process. I have jotted down a couple of points below that might be of interest to others.

1) Her medical exam in Hinduja Hospital went off very smoothly. We were aware and concerned that her chest xrays showed a scar from an earlier bout of TB (infected and cured when she was very young). However the doctors in Hinduja hospital took a couple of additional xrays to confirm that it was inactive and approved her medicals.

2) She had obtained a passport within the last 6 months, hence the only PCC she carried was one from the regional passport office and was deemed sufficient by the immigration officials.

Good luck to the rest of you.

How long

Can you tell us how long this process took from the time you applied for the GC for your Mom to her obtaining it at the embassy? Thank you.

How long from sending choice of agent and affidavit of support to St Louis

My sister is sponsoring my mom\'s GC and currently we received choice of agent and affidavit of support docs.Do u know how long it took from this stage?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

more details please...

on what is involved in a family-based sponsorship ? I just got stamped (no card yet).
1)Can I start the GC process for my parents? or should I wait till I become a citizen.
2) Approximately how long would it take from start to finish ?

Thanks a lot.

Congrats Oneworld? Just a quick question ?

Congrats. Just a quick question - not to get personal but I am trying to find out the best way for Medical Insurance for parents. What are the costs and are they eligible for Medicare? They are > age 65.

Thanking You

Congrats Oneworld? Just a quick question ?

Congrats. Just a quick question - not to get personal but I am trying to find out the best way for Medical Insurance for parents. What are the costs and are they eligible for Medicare? They are > age 65.

Thanking You

CP vs 485 for the elderly.

My mom and dad are 55+. They have 10 year multiple entry visitor visas. I am expecting their I130 approval any day now. Should I then just call them here and let them go ahead with I485 + EAD + Advance Parole or is it better for them to go for CP in bombay. The downside about CP is their age. I am afraid that although my dad is an architect, the immigration officer may not approve his GC coz of his age...you know he might say that you will be retiring in a couple of years anyway...then you will just use our resources in the US. However if my parents come here on their visitor visas, then they can file for 485...once in the US...we can get the best immigration lawyers to represent their case. the downside about 485 is the time taken to get the actual GC in hands. Am I too concerned about my parents failing the GC interview if they choose the CP route?

replies

Here are answers (to my best knowledge) to questions posted since my last reply:

(1) after choice of agent form has been sent, the national visa center will send a packet containing form DS230-partI, explanation of documents required during the immigration interview etc. which has to be filled and returned to the national visa center. Thereafter the consulate will setup an immigration interview and send a packet containing the interview letter, DS230-partII etc (directly to the candidate) which the candidate has to submit with supporting documentation during the interview.

(2) you have to be a citizen before you can sponsor your parents for gc.

(3) I filed I-130 at the vermont service center

(4) medical insurance for immigrants is the big question. I am still trying to figure this one out.

(5) I dont think your parents age (55+) should be an issue since you will be signing and affidavit of support on their behalf which is legally enforceable should they use any public benefits. My mom was in the same age group and her age was not an issue during CP.

I-130

Question to all I-130 filers and gurus,

Currently a friend of mine is on B2 status and has applied for Extension which is not yet received. she has almost completed 1 year stay based on the pending extension. In the meantime also she has had job offers and a couple of employers have filed for her H1 visa which is still pending approval, now the question is,
1. Can her husband file for her I-130 even though she has a H1 pending ( husband is LPR ).

Any inputs will be appreciated,

SanjayH