Successful CP in Chennai on Jan28th

Venkat CNV

Registered Users (C)
I had a successful CP at Chennai on Jan28th and landed in Dallas on Feb13th. Thanks to LocalMadras for providing excellent information about the document list and I followed it blindly. Couple of things I would like the CPers going to Chennai to keep in mind are:

1) Always docuble check the forms filled by Dr.V. Sometimes she makes typo errors and it is easy to correct if you find it immediately.

2) Inside the consulate they do not allow any bags, cell phones etc. So take all your documents clip it and put in a plastic bags. This is the best method and when they ask for it you can give it with the clip without much hastle. If you fumble and search for documents at the counter they will ask you to re-arrange and come back.

3) Dont put N/A. Put NONE in Ds-230 I and II for blank columns.

4) For photos, cameracity is the best. They are the only ones who give photos in 10-15 mins and also open in the morning. Konica colour lab and Apollo really sucks if you say it is urgent and need it ASAP.

5) Once the officer say it is approved, please re-check your first name, last name, DOB, Passport # in the system before you leave. This will save you one more trip for any corrections and also another courier fee.

Thats all I have and I wish you all good luck!!!

-Venkat.

a few doubts to venkat

3) why None..It mentions very clearly to write N/A... did u correct everything to None again? I think it is better to correct in front of officer than doing it here becoz it says to write N/A.

4) where is cameracity???

5) how to check the system for our details. Will the officer allow us to see those details which will be there inside the counters?

Sri

3) Well..No idea why they prefer NONE. But repeatedly they told everyone to put NONE though form clearly says N/A.

4) Cameracity is right across Hotel Chola Sheraton in the Cathedral Road.

5) You can ask the officer (mostly it will be a desi clerk) to repeat the details that they have in the system with correct spelling. They did it for me. Remeber do this at the end when they say your visa is approved.

None or N/A

This is one of those things, where the document says one thing, and we are forced to do something else.

Actually there is need to use both these terms in DS 230.

For example:

Item # 2 of DS 230 Part I

Other names used or aliases.

Male applicants will have to say 'NONE' here, and not 'N/A'( if
they have not used any other names).

( female applicants will have to mention their maided names)

Item # 20 of DS 230 Part I

List below all places you have lived for at least six months since reaching the age of 16......

For my daughter who is 7 years , I filled ' N/A'. Using 'None' would not be correct.

Anyway, who can, and will argue on the finer points of language with the person at the Consulate.

Just do what they say!!!!

Raju

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Venkat,
Could you please tell me how long it took for you from I-140 approval to interview @ Chennai. If you could break down the various time periods at every stage, it will be really great. I am in a dilemma whether to opt for CP or AOS at this stage.

Thanks,
Jay

Stages from I-140 approval to Interview

Every case has a unique characterstic attached with it. I will give an avarage time interval between I-140 approval and Interview for CP route.

As per the new processing steps effective Oct 1, 2002 the Consular Processing Steps are :
Step1: NVC in Portsmouth Receives Notice of I-140 Approval
Step2: NVC in Portsmouth issues a fee bill to the lawyer
Step3: Fee Bill is paid to the NVC in St. Louis
Step4: NVC in St. Louis sends notice of payment to NVC in Portsmouth
Step5: NVC in Portsmouth issues Packet III to the lawyer
Step6: The lawyer files Packet III with NVC in Portsmouth
Step7: NVC Portsmouth reviews Packet 3
Step8: NVC Portsmouth forwards P3 file to Consulate
Step9: Packet 3 reaches Consulate inhome country
Step10: Consulate schedules the interview

Time intervals:
Step1: 2 - 4 weeks
Step2: 2 - 3 weeks
Step3: Depends on you and your attorney ( 1 day turn around time to about 2 weeks)
Step4: 3 - 4 weeks
Step5: 2 -3 weeks
Step6: Depends on you and your attorney ( 1 day turn around time to about 2 weeks)
Step7: 2 - 8 weeks (recently things have been moving faster at NVC Portsmouth)
Step8: 1 - 2 weeks
Step9: 1 - 2 weeks
Step10: 4 - 8 weeks

Thanks.

Thanks cpDelhi. So overall it takes 7 to 8 mos after 140 approval to get CP done. Since 140 takes roughly 4-6 months, the total time it takes for the process from filing of I-140 seems to be 12-14 months. Considering that AOS takes 14-18 mos with the added advantage of EAD and job portability after 6 mos, I think it is better to opt for AOS at this time.

Any thoughts.

Thanks,
Jay

Decision to make....

I am not sure which INS Center will give you a LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) status in 14 to 18 months these days using the AOS route. But the average time to get GC through AOS is 24 to 30 months.

Anyway make an informed decision. There is ton of infromation about both the routes on this forum and also on the web. There are advantages and disavanatges of both, AOS and CP, routes.

Good Luck.

Timeframe

Piske,

I went by the old route. It took me exactly 5 months and 1 week from I-140 approval to interview. I have updated all dates in cptracker.com. As cpdelhi pointed out, if you want to get GC faster in your hand then CP is the best choice for you. By the new process still I feel the time interval between interview date and I-140 approval will be max of 8 months which is still worth it.

Many are scared to go for CP thinking that officer might reject. Actually, % of rejection is veryvery less and I would say most of the time it is just a formaility. Even if something is not sufficient all they ask is extra documents. So it really a safe bet to for CP. Only thing is we need to digest the tension of going to consulate and meeting the officer.

Hope this helps.

Venkat.